Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration in steering

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Are your wheel nuts tight? just a a thought.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi, I had a very similar issue to yours. What model is your car ? Mine is a Senator with large front rotors. I had new rotors & pads fitted at purchase. They also swapped my 20" GTS rims & tires over from my old Calais. Right from the start I had problems with "wheel balance" like wobbles. The dealer, mechanic & tire outlet tried everything they could think of to fix it. That included hub rings, different balancer, different tires & top strut mounts. We even fitted new 20" mags wheels & new tires. It ended up a lot better but still had a wobble in steering wheel. After about 5000 kms the car developed a slight shudder under braking. When measured the rotors were out, but not by much. We machined them to fix the shudder & hey presto all issues dissapeared including wheel wobble. You described a brake shudder among the symptoms so I suggest checking the rotors measure true. Nobody even thought of checking the rotors on mine because they were new & "must be straight right". Well obviously not because all the drama was cured by machining them.

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
Hi guys, have got a vibration coming through my steering wheel. Done some searching a found a few posts of similar issue but they have been warped rotors and tyre rotation. My rotors are fairly new, I put them on because of the vibration. Now it seems to be getting worse and will constantly shake even while not braking. The wheels are brand new and properly balanced and the strut top mounts have been recently replaced with nolathane items. Has anyone had a mysterious vibration in their steering that is slightly exacerbated under braking. Seems to get worse at speed. Any help would be much appreciated. Because I've replaced all the common problem items but the shake is still there.
Yes I do know what the vibration is, they person who replaced the top strut mounts means taking out the struts, to do this the control arm bolts and the bushes need to be de-attached and whoever did that job they have not tightened up the top bolts on each side of the control arms properly they are supposed to be bolted down so the rubber bushes are squeezing I have seen heaps of people doing this job make that mistake which causes a vibration especially noticeable under braking, I have made the same mistake myself when working on commodores