Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Driving high powered vehicles on P's for work.

VIC_VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
regarding the ABN with P Plates to drive a v8

unless you can prove what you are doing is for work. then pretty much you are screwed.
so no driving it on weekends etc (unless you want to risk it)

also would it not look sus that you have a business with no income. yet a car is registered in that business isnt cheap? =P

No income would highlight an issue yes, but if your earned at least $1 that would be seen as operating a business. All you would need to do is register an ABN and sell a few things on eBay and provide a invoice for it to whoever purchases the items. You could be using the high powered card to go around and purchase/picking up the items your selling on eBay. This would be enough to consider yourself operating your own business. The law cannot judge how much your profit/cash flow in your business against the value of the car it just doesn't work that way.

Also, as for the weekend driving thing, no issue there. I operate my business on a day to day basis depending if i need to go out that day or not. I claim GST off fuel I use in my work car on the weekend as I use it to get to and from cetain places I would consider work if I can claim the GST why cant I be using my work car? After all its my own business I work when I want.. right?

Disclaimer: This is only speculation and I do not advise or take responsibility for any action your take based on the information I provide here. If in doubt please contact a legal representative before taking action as I do not hold responsibility for the result of anything you may do based on my speculation and/or theory'd advise.

VIC_VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
This is an interesting topic.

Does this mean i could get my current car (Insured under my dad) insured under his company instead?
I work for him and i sometimes have to drive around for work. is there any reason i can't have the car registered to the company and if i get pulled over and they ask me about my exhaust, extractos, intake etc. I can just say it's a company car and i am using it for work?
Obviously i could align a better story but ritualisticly i do use it for work occasionally and its only a few minor modifications i never knew were illegal >.<

I am also from NSW

Can't help too much with legality in NSW as I don't know the drivers regulation there, don't have the book for that state! In theory if it has a statement similar to what Victorian drivers regulation has then yes you could BUT I wouldn't bother setting up insurance under your dads company as that probably will cost more than your personal insurance over your car. If your in an accident and insured under the company insurance and found that in the accident your trip was not for work purposes than you may be limited to the claim and that can be nasty especially if other cars where involved.

With all these sort of things I would always keep personal insurance, only use the work purpose reason if your pulled over by an office on the road. If your involved in an accident be honest, cut your losses admit you where driving for personal use cop the 3 points and $300 fine and make a fully safe covered claim via personal insurance company dont risk insurance claims over 3 points & 300$ just wont be worth it.

Disclaimer: This is only speculation and I do not advise or take responsibility for any action your take based on the information I provide here. If in doubt please contact a legal representative before taking action as I do not hold responsibility for the result of anything you may do based on my speculation and/or theory'd advise.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I'm saying that if you operate your own business and decide to buy a V8 and use that car for your business purposes, yes you could buy a high performance vehicle and drive it around doing your own business things and if pulled over present your case to the police officer and be fine with it.

Thats what a guy I know does , he set up his own "couriering" business , ABN and all . and drives a l67 sedan around . And he stuck a sticker on the side saying 24/7 couriering . So he Just drives it around even on weekends saying that his delivering things . Has worked for him so far ....

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
I'm saying that if you operate your own business and decide to buy a V8 and use that car for your business purposes, yes you could buy a high performance vehicle and drive it around doing your own business things and if pulled over present your case to the police officer and be fine with it.

Thats what a guy I know does , he set up his own "couriering" business , ABN and all . and drives a l67 sedan around . And he stuck a sticker on the side saying 24/7 couriering . So he Just drives it around even on weekends saying that his delivering things . Has worked for him so far ....

So he has Been pulled over multiple times?