Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Victoria to be home to green fuel tech plant

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Victoria could soon be home to a ground-breaking green fuel technology plant, with the announcement of a consortium formed between the Victorian State Government and a group of leading companies.

The consortium - which also includes Holden, Caltex, Veolia, Mitsui and Coskata - will investigate the viability of establishing Australia’s first ethanol plant capable of turning materials such as household rubbish and building waste into more than 200 million litres of ethanol a year. This ethanol will be blended into an alternative fuel known overseas as E85; a mixture of up to 85 per cent ethanol and 15 per cent regular petrol.

The plant would produce ethanol using a process developed by leading US biofuel company Coskata Inc, which last year unveiled one of the world’s few plants capable of producing ethanol from material such as agricultural waste and household rubbish.

Holden will introduce Australia’s first locally produced flex-fuel vehicles capable of running on the high-ethanol fuel, later this year.

deez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
long overdue, although the wording "investigate the viability" suggests this is still a long way off. i still don't understand why combustion engine technology is mainstream. sure, we could blame the oil companies but governments (or the powers that be) have a lot to answer for.

HSVchixy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY Clubsport
think of it as the movie Back to the Future... load it in the DeLorean and go :D

HSVchixy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY Clubsport
i want one... apparently only 31 in aus... and clearly out of my price range... maybe i'll build a mockup kitcar one day *sigh*