Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Victorian legal height rule changed?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Hi there i just thought i would ask as i know the law for the lowest point on a vehicle in vix is 100mm but i had a mate the other day that got pulled up and checked and he was at 95mm and the officer said the law has been changed to 90mm... is this true?? or was the cop just letting him off and being nice???

Sorry if this is a stupid question, Just wanted to clarify

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Doesn't make much sense 100mm is damn low as is.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Doesn't make much sense 100mm is damn low as is.

yer i wasnt too sure on it but what is the law actually for?? is it to stop cars from damaging roads and speed humps and things????

I'm not being smart but just wanted to know coz technically the lower you get wont it handle better so its not actually a loss of control type law.

I'm sure there is a valid reason but yer as i said he was told it is now 90mm but just wanted to find out. Cheers mate

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Can't see anything about it. It's not just height though it's suspension travel that has to be right.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Can't see anything about it. It's not just height though it's suspension travel that has to be right.

yer thats true i guess, valid point

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yer i wasnt too sure on it but what is the law actually for?? is it to stop cars from damaging roads and speed humps and things????

I'm not being smart but just wanted to know coz technically the lower you get wont it handle better so its not actually a loss of control type law.

I'm sure there is a valid reason but yer as i said he was told it is now 90mm but just wanted to find out. Cheers mate

the main reasoning for it is so you dont scrape chassis if you have a tyre blowout, the wheel will hit the ground before the car.

stupid thing is, these days low profile tyres run less than 100mm sidewalls, and you'd get away with running a lower car. but the standards are set, and we cna choose to either follow them or not.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
ah ok cheers man. thanks for clarifying that :)