Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Barra conversion

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What a way to take a pile of expensive old parts and turn them into a worthless pile of **** is the first thought that rolls around my head , Do up a falcon if you want to play with a barra reason I say this is if your life ever changes you have some thing that could be sold and you could get some money back. Wasting heaps of time and cash on the never was is never a good idea unless you buy a brand new car every time the ash tray is full.

What's wrong with people mixing and matching? I have seen a VH that has a turbo barra conversion and it left modern LS powered Commodores in it's wake.

Fact is, you own a car, 99.9% of the time you spend more than you can sell it for.....No need to shoot people down, because they want to do something different, even with an old car.

As for what's involved....It was 12 months ago I saw the car and have lost track of it.....So I won't be able to help the OP with details, other than I knew it was an auto

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My sincere apologies Losh you are correct.
I had a VK so should know better and yes it was a black motor.
So what is 202 in cc? Were they 3200 or 3300? So it might be close to legal.
I will amend my previous post and thanks again.

Engine capacity wise, it should be fine....VK came out with a 5.0 litre, and the barra is 4.0 litres....The rest would be something that would have to be consultated with an engineer about

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Barra conversion not so bad as it's decent bang for value...if you're worried about value of car just make sure nothing is cut so that it can be returned back to stock or whatever for next ownerif you think it might get sold down the line.

As for manual barra think it would be decent in early commodore only if naturally aspirated...with turbo an auto would be quicker down the track & less silly to drive/skid.

If I wasn't diehard v8 bogan would've tried barra in vp ute...ls conversions been done to death but damn things make easy reliable power for much less coin when compared to nasty holden strokers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My sincere apologies Losh you are correct.
I had a VK so should know better and yes it was a black motor.
So what is 202 in cc? Were they 3200 or 3300? So it might be close to legal.
I will amend my previous post and thanks again.
The 202 is 3.3 Litre.
I had 2 or them, the red one was a great engine!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Will most likely need to beat/cut the tunnel to fit a T56, have you got a box to test fit?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Purity has never been one of my strong points though I would not of considered putting a Ford motor in a Holden. Nothing
wrong with the Barra motor, no problem getting decent power out of them.
My vh is worth a lot more now than when I bought it I could never hope to recoup what I have spent on it but who cares. I have
a vp stroker in my vh, at the time there was no LS motor. However if I had my time starting now it would be a LS3 that I would
be using. I love the lighter weight that comes with it.

Pepperoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 VB SL Commodore
Personally I think its a great idea and good to see someone doing something a little different. Vk Calais is a great Car, Barra motor is a strong motor. shame on people not keeping more an open mind instead following everyone else like sheep. good to see dude, keep us upto date

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Only reason people think the barra is a good motor is... if you wack a dirty big turbo on it, without it motor is just a gutless overweight petrol guzzler and slow as but good for towing in stock form, plus the vk is only 1300kg so anything in it will look fast.

Would be good to see a chevy twin turbo 350 motor in a light 64 mustang body or the VK

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Only reason people think the barra is a good motor is... if you wack a dirty big turbo on it, without it motor is just a gutless overweight petrol guzzler and slow as but good for towing in stock form, plus the vk is only 1300kg so anything in it will look fast.

Would be good to see a chevy twin turbo 350 motor in a light 64 mustang body or the VK

Barra minus turbo equals boat anchor...

Coconuttiger85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Amarok
mate got one in ht wepon. **** what people think... build what you want... ive seen everything from rb25 to chev v8 in early girls... they put chevs in ford hot rods