Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Cluster

mrPhilsVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 3.3L
hi all!

Well i bought a 85 vk and it come with a vacuum fuel economy gauge instead of the RPM gauge. so i decided to buy a original RPM gauge from another commodore and just swap the gauges around. but I don't know about how to connect it to make it work?. or if its even possible. so please anyone that has done it or knows if its possible reply.

Thanks PHIL

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Very possible mate.
If I'm right the manifold pressure gauges uses a hose yea? You'l need to plug that off.
Your new rpm gauge will run off a wire from the -ve of coil I assume? (Some one may need to correct me on that)

mrPhilsVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 3.3L
If I'm right the manifold pressure gauges use a hose yea? Your rpm gauge will run off a wire from the -ve of coil I assume?

It doesn't seem for you to be able to put any wires to the gauge. or is there a piece that im missing from the gauge to connect the wire ??

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I did the same swap, i drilled 3 small holes in the rear of my cluster then soldered a wire to each of the pins on the back of the tacho. I fed the wires through the holes and then put the cluster all back together. Then i spliced 2 wires into the original harness with some bullet pulgs in the middle so i can still unplug it all and then ran the 3rd wire to the coil.

I posted on here somewhere which pin is what but you have an earth, a 12v ignition and a signal to the coil.
Ill have a look and try to find the thread i posted it in.......

Ok so i found this thread, check it out:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1978-1985/146178-vh-tacho-pin-selection.html

Last edited:

mrPhilsVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 3.3L
I did the same swap, i drilled 3 small holes in the rear of my cluster then soldered a wire to each of the pins on the back of the tacho. I fed the wires through the holes and then put the cluster all back together. Then i spliced 2 wires into the original harness with some bullet pulgs in the middle so i can still unplug it all and then ran the 3rd wire to the coil.

I posted on here somewhere which pin is what but you have an earth, a 12v ignition and a signal to the coil.
Ill have a look and try to find the thread i posted it in.......

Ok so i found this thread, check it out:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1978-1985/146178-vh-tacho-pin-selection.html

Yeah thanks!. I will check that out as soon as I can :D