Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK DIY Respray - Tips & Tricks Wanted

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Hi lads,

Going to be respraying my VK over the long weekend in my garage. I've done the engine bay already which came up mickey mouse, and that has convinced me to do the whole car. The paint is still in pretty good condition (the previous owner who sprayed it had a thread on here showing what was done) so I'll basically be rubbing it back slightly and coating it in solid white (its currently white over silver). I have a mate who is spraying and I'll be doing the grunt work to get it ready. I was after some tips from guys who do this for a living or who have done the same thing before, tips to help the various steps such as masking, sanding (what grit paper), how many coats, should I remove the front and rear screens or can i just lift the rubber seals etc. Bonnet and guards are already off, I want to do inside the door jams and was hoping i could mask the inside of the door and the opening and leave them ajar while spraying, the tops of the door around the window are already black and will be staying black.

Cheers.
Brett

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
An engine bay may show up brilliant but be aware sanding large flat surfaces need to be blocked or it will end up looking wavy.
You will need a range of blocks for different areas, large long ones for large areas and smaller ones for smaller areas.
Edges need to be feathered in neatly also.
IF your happy with the results in the engine bay then repeat what you did with the above in mind.
Hope this helps.
Pictures please.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
The whole car was blocked/filled/straightened etc. before it was last painted. It's still straight as so I'm hoping I can just rub it back a bit to scuff it up before painting