Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK heater/aircon/door actuator/vacuum/control panel issue????

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
Hi all,

We're putting the interior back together and of course we have to have the demister working for rego etc but just can't seem to get it right.

We get good heat and the blower fan can be turned up and down but the air is only coming out from the floor/under the dash. When we slide the VENT/DEMISTER/FLOOR slider up and down nothing happens.

I've checked all those vacuum hoses that go from the 3 actuators up in the dash to the valve switch behind the heater controls and I'm pretty confident they're all where they're supposed to be. The vacuum line (no#4) is coming from the T piece on the engine manifold so I think that's ok too, but still the vents don't change from floor to demister etc.

I can reach my hand up and push on one of the actuators and then the heat flow changes to demister so there's no issue with the door actuator(s) I would think.

Another possible issue is when we reinstalled the 5 litre we decided to do away with all the aircon stuff. Brother didn't want it so we just removed all the compressor, lines and related stuff. When we removed the aircon lines from where they connect to the firewall (below the fuse box), we have just left those 2 connections 'open'. Seeing as though the heater doors/actuators work on engine vacuum, is it possible the vacuum is escaping the system because these 2 aircon outlets just vent to the atmosphere? I'm not that cluey on the aircon system so I'm not sure if removing that aircon stuff will affect the heater controls - it's just a thought.

Any thoughts or test ideas would be much appreciated as it's about the only thing stopping us from putting it all back toegther for rego.

Cheers

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good to know about the aircon, cheers.

I will check through the vacuum lines again using the diagram at the bottom of this page (I assume it's correct)

VK Berlina Project

If that's all good what would I check next?

I did feel the vacuum from the no. 4 line on the end of my finger and while it did 'suck' it didn't seem very strong to me? (that no4 vacuum line from the intake manifold is new btw)

thanks again

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Best way? Apply vacuum somehow? (they work easily enough by hand pushing the piston/plunger on them btw)

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Do any of the actuators work? Line isnt kinked somewhere?, even with some pretty awesome leaks they still seem to work in most cars. With no Vacuum air is directed to the floor.

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
well I can flick the slider control up and down and nothing changes (air still keeps coming out towards the floor) so I can't tell if any of the actuators actually work. So it could be that there's no vacuum like you say?

I just attached the no. 4 hose to the T piece on the inlet manifold as I assumed that's where it went (we cut it when taking out the engine). Like I mentioned above I can put my finger over the end of that no.4 hose and it does suck but only very weakly.

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might try to get hold of a vacuum gauge and check the vacuum on the number 4 hose coming from that T piece on the inlet manifold. Any idea what the vacuum should be reading at that T piece?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
They do suck weakly, i had mine off last coincidently trying find an annoying whistle somewhere under the bonnet. I dont know which no plug the vacuum line from the manifold runs to i will check the VK book when i go to tafe tommorow, does it make any psssshhhh sort of sounds when you move the slide or all the time or not at all? You can visually watch some of your actuators move under the dash if they are working.