Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk ignition problem

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
hey all ! first id like to say hello to all those out there , i havent made a post for awhile been missing in action for a bit due to work ( to much of it! ) so thought id start with a big hello to u all :D

ok , well first of all im here as i have an ignition problem , it seems to be that my battery is fully charged , there are no wires missing/loose , when i turn my ignition key , i dont even get an accessories/battery light so therefor my car wont even start. so before i put it in the to hard basket , i thought i just play around with indicators and lights etc. so i turned my indicator on and it worked , so i thought ok well ill try turn the key once more , and booyah , it started ! so i turned it off again , and then back on , everything seemed like normal again ! so when i went to go out , i jumped in my car and turned they key and it started first go ! as soon as i hit my lights to turn them on to leave , my engine cut out and turned off , and now i cant get it to start or get my accessories/battery light to display or anything else electrical to work ( besides stereo ) !! :bang: so yea thats my problem haha , any suggestions or ideas ? i am not to good with the electrical side of things so any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated !

cheers
Bretto :thumbsup:

MSN - [email protected]
EMAIL - [email protected]

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
jeeez thats a tough one... whats the overall condition of the wiring like? has it had heaps of home made **** done to it? or does it still look bog stock factory.

so it stalls when you put the lights on?
then the first thing I'd check is the condition of the heavy red charge wire from the alternator to the battery, also trace the small brown? charge indicator wire from the alternator back up the loom to the main engine harness near the firewall, check the condition of the terminals inside that plug and see if any are pushed back in the plug.

The main thing I would check on re-reading your post is the harness that has the heavy wires from the battery that run into the grommet in the lower passenger side firewall via a black plug with about 5-6 heavy red and black wires in it, check the connection here as this harness feeds all the power from the battery into the cabin... make sure its not shorting on anything or burnt from being too close to the exhaust.

good luck and be sure to post back and let everyone know what the problem was...

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
jeeez thats a tough one... whats the overall condition of the wiring like? has it had heaps of home made **** done to it? or does it still look bog stock factory.

so it stalls when you put the lights on?
then the first thing I'd check is the condition of the heavy red charge wire from the alternator to the battery, also trace the small brown? charge indicator wire from the alternator back up the loom to the main engine harness near the firewall, check the condition of the terminals inside that plug and see if any are pushed back in the plug.

The main thing I would check on re-reading your post is the harness that has the heavy wires from the battery that run into the grommet in the lower passenger side firewall via a black plug with about 5-6 heavy red and black wires in it, check the connection here as this harness feeds all the power from the battery into the cabin... make sure its not shorting on anything or burnt from being too close to the exhaust.

good luck and be sure to post back and let everyone know what the problem was...

thanks for your reply ! just an updated post on things.. i havent got around to trying your suggestion yet , due to work hours etc. but i went out this morning to my car just to see if it would start or not. strangest thing ever , it started ! so whilst it was going i played around with all my other electrical stuff to see if it would short out or not ( wipers , stereo , indicators etc. ) and everything was fine . i cant figure this one out , so confusing ha !

i am going to attempt driving it to and from work today to see how i go , if it plays up again ill try out ur suggestion over the weekend when i have a bit of spare time , and will keep u all up to date ! thanks again

cheers
Bretto