Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk long range tank/powersteering questions

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Gday guys
Got a few more questions regarding my vk I'm doing a 304 conversion and recently got hold of a vs 5l fuel tank for it question is would this be a straight bolt up or am I going to have issues? What's the go with the fuel sender should my vk Calais wires match in with the Vs wiring from the sender? Will my vk tank straps fit or do I use the vs ones and modify those? I also left the vk k frame and power steering rack In bolted in the 304(from a Vn) and went to hook up my power steering lines to the vk rack but had issues, are the treads on the Vn power steering lines the same as the threads in the vk rack or am I going to have to get lines made? If so does anyone know what threads I need? Or can I somehow hook up my vk power steering lines to my Vn pump? Cheers guys

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know, the VS fuel tank straps will need modifying to fit in the VK....The VK straps won't be long enough to fit the VS fuel tank.....Not sure about the wiring, as I never got that far with my VC and putting in the VS tank.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep need longer straps off non-irs car or lengthen 1 side if straps off irs car.
vn-vs sender plug is different...just cut wiring off a wreck join to yours,apparently read same just says empty earlier than vb-s sender.

Yep again the threads are different for the racks.

Can get pirtek to change end of lines over OR

Dont quote me on this BUT think you can swap top of power racks over,the 2 bolts on top but yeah dont quote me as never done it tbh.

Also if running pacemakers little to no extractor-powersteer clearance if using early vb-h rack...mine practically touches.Otherwise maybe vn-vs kframe & rack better option.
If std-mild engine hsv/calais/statesman steel headers work fine & clear easily.

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Thanks for the replies guys, so other then the straps and the filler neck she should hopefully bolt straight in? Just thought it would be an easier option the running and external pump, and as for extractor clearance I've got advance headers for the 304 conversion and they are by far the best no complaints with clearance they fit perfect, maybe I should have kept the Vn kframe and rack and I wouldn't have had drama with the lines haha, cheers boys

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Your only concern will be getting the correct straps if you don't have them. Yes it will fit. Also do your self a favour and replace the breather hoses on top of the tank while its out.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If I read right, having an external pump....VS has the pump inside the tank, not outside.

VK (I think) through to VS V8 all have the same K-frame...Only the 6 cyl VL through to VS have a different K-frame...The difference being the engine mount brackets...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
the bolt spacing for steering racks is different for vb-vk than later vl-vs.

Yeah depends on tank straps you get but no biggie,other than that shorten filler neck that's it.

As for fuel pump if you've got internal efi pump stick with it

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I used the Vk straps on a VS tank in 2 cars, the VS has some insulation where the straps sit against the tank which make it a little harder to get them.

I cut 2 ish inches off a STD vs Filler and it fit straight in.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I stick to the smaller 60 litre tanks...higher capacity tanks now double or triple price it's crazy