Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Motors

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Damn, I wanted to put a VN 6 into one when I buy one haha, minus all the paperwork. Why can't you just put in any engine that's within the factory specs ie engine size?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Because there is a catch with everything in life. They all include paper work and money.

matty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dude thats awesome! Did you have to get a cert. for it?

matty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet, if here in Vic does anything more than that, I'm heading to SA! Would any diffs suspension brakes etc need modding to take the extra power?

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
Hey,

I want to know what engines can fit a vk executive?

I went to the wreckers today and they recon, nothin will fit a vk but 202's. And i always thought that a vl motor would fit quiet easy?

i am only looking at a second hand motor, that i can clean and work on myself!

what motors are best for a vk? and what would it involve to change engine and also what electrical stuff would need to be changed???

any information would be helpful!!!!!:thumbsup:

I'm currently building a VL and have a V6 from a VR Commodore which is destined for the engine bay.

The sub-frame from VC to VL are almost identical and they all came out with V8's and can be engineered to 400cubes street legal.

Even the chassis in the VN is the same as the previous models. (They did go a little wider from the VP's).

So therefore V6, RB30's, etc are no problem.
The olny thing that you can't do is go backward. (NSW law) An engineer wont pass a car with an older model motor. For example, you can't put a 253 (4.2ltr) V8 into a VK. The motor was made redundant by holden and was scrapped because of its emissions.

You'll need a VN front cross-member (K - Frame) if you decide on a V6, to mount the engine with the right clearance. Don't strees at that too much though, the VN K - FRame will bolt straight up in replacement of the VK item.

There are a number of ways to convert wiring and a number of kits that are available but I don't know for sure as I haven't done that part myself yet.

There are a few people on this board that might be able to help you out.

Another good idea is to talk to your nearest RTA approved engineer and ask them what they expect the car to be like to pass it and then build it accordingly.

They often will give you some suggestions on how to get more power legally and improve fuel ecomomy.

Personally a late V6 (VR - VY) as they are a quite different and stronger block cast than the earlier V6's (VN-VP).

Good luck and I hope this helps
Kain