Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk paint colours

Gsourbis

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Hi...vk commodore underbody parts such as k frame, struts, air filter, etc. are painted in a brownish colour from factory....does anyone know if this colour has a code/name?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
huh...??? k frame struts and (6 and 8 cyl) air filters are all different colours
struts bodies come from Monroe.. painted a blackish colour in satin
k frame came from the Woodville panel stamping area in a rustproof browny honey sorta colour
and
air cleaners are in gloss black (they were painted in the 'Bend engine plant)

Gsourbis

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
huh...??? k frame struts and (6 and 8 cyl) air filters are all different colours
struts bodies come from Monroe.. painted a blackish colour in satin
k frame came from the Woodville panel stamping area in a rustproof browny honey sorta colour
and
air cleaners are in gloss black (they were painted in the 'Bend engine plant)
Hi Smitty, appreciate your help
Im refering to the underbody painted components such as the kframe, strut towers, air filter housing
In the VK Brock, they are painted a brownish colour from factory (as per your response regarding the kframe)
I want to re-paint mine and restore to original colour
Does anybody know how to get this colour?

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
V8 air filter housing has been painted satin black since year dot as far as I know....

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Fair enough you guys are the experts, thankfully....! it would have been nice to see what the engine bay looked like as it rolled off the factory floor, or close to it. I remember a good friend of my dads bought a brand new VB SL/E 5.0 back in the day, this is where my love affair began, and whilst I am sure they 'popped the bonnet' when my dads mate brought it round I was a little young to remember what the engine bay looked like (I was only 8), I just remember how smart and comfortable the interior was (with a/c!!) and how ahead of it's time it seemed to be.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough you guys are the experts, thankfully....! it would have been nice to see what the engine bay looked like as it rolled off the factory floor, or close to it. I remember a good friend of my dads bought a brand new VB SL/E 5.0 back in the day, ..................

woulda looked pretty much like this (ignore the 253 stciker)

mini-IMGP0855.jpg

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Thanks Smitty. Although I have to say that air cleaner does not look in the best of nic despite the rest of the engine bay looking quite pristine..... not that it matters nor do I really care but the air cleaner also does not look gloss black!!;)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Smitty. Although I have to say that air cleaner does not look in the best of nic despite the rest of the engine bay looking quite pristine..... not that it matters nor do I really care but the air cleaner also does not look gloss black!!;)

I used that engine pic.. as it showed the VB engine bay layout especially the large Harrison compressor
and the air cleaner orientation (snorkel to strut tower)

this pic shows what the air cleaner should look like as 'new'

my wife's VH engine from 1983

or this one...

YWvhydq.jpg

Last edited: