Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Problems

V

vinh1981

i am buying a vk calais tommorrow and its got as few probs left rear electric window doesn't go up and down also it is leaking transmission fluid and speedo is reading wrong it is about 10 ks faster then what it says any ideas on whats the problems can someone help

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
cant really help with speedo it could be anything,with the electric window it probably is either the switch or window motor if you have a front control switch and a rear control switch and neither operates the window i would say it is probably the window motor in the door,auto trans is generally a seal or gasket ,depends how much it leeks too ,if it hardly uses any fluid stick some transmission addative in it this usually seals up small leaks
cheers fergi

ps if its a car yard deal get them to fix it

V

vinh1981

ok cool i know with the window it can go down but going back up is the problem it needs to be shorted for it to go back up and with the leaking trans its leaking about 1 litre a fortnight thanks for the reply fergi

B

blacki

Could've changed the transmission, would explain why the speedo reads differently, and the leaks could be from if they didn't put new gaskets in or fit it properly.
Where's it leaking from, exactly?? front or back of trans?

Can't be definite about these things without looking at it.

G

grover

QUOTE (blacki @ Feb 17 2004, 04:40 PM) Could've changed the transmission, would explain why the speedo reads differently, and the leaks could be from if they didn't put new gaskets in or fit it properly.
Where's it leaking from, exactly?? front or back of trans?

Can't be definite about these things without looking at it.
changing trans wont affect speedo unless a different cog is used on the end of speedo cable.more likely the diff ratio has been changed.

V

vinh1981

the leak is from about the end of the engine bay on the drivers side just behind the front wheel and it looks like it is leaking a fair bit it leaks more when it is revering i think not too sure tho but i am pretty sure it more in reverse thanks for the replys and help very appricated

V

vinh1981

anyone know where abouts the gasket would be located for a transmission is it on the drivers side behind the front wheel or there abouts

V

vphsv1

QUOTE (vinh1981 @ Feb 17 2004, 10:52 PM) the leak is from about the end of the engine bay on the drivers side just behind the front wheel and it looks like it is leaking a fair bit it leaks more when it is revering i think not too sure tho but i am pretty sure it more in reverse thanks for the replys and help very appricated
Hi
it could be still be transmisson lines as they run along that side,
it could also be your power streering hose leaking and dripping onto
the lip at the bottom of the inner guard and following this along.
the gasket is on the bottom of the trans not near the wheel

this doesnt happen often but the trans dip stick outer tube has a o-ring at the bottom this could be perished and leaking out of there

V

vinh1981

i took it into the transmission shop and they said it was out trans fluid and the cooler hose was chewed up inside the filter is that possible he said i have to change transmission and thast gonna cost me 895 all up i thinbk it sounds like bullshit i have a spare vl engine with transmission lying around would that go with the vk engine? or wouild it be easier and cheaper to put the vl engine in the vk

B

blacki

Sorry, grover. I thought the speedo read from the gearbox... And thought they may have taken a 5sp out and put in a 4sp or something, different gear ratios hence speedo increase. But I wasn't sure...my bad.

vinh1981, The VL engine will go in but you'll need the crossmember and k-frame. I think you'll need an engineers certificate.

What kind of transmission is it??