Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Vacum Hoeses

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
VK Vacuum Hoeses

Hi All,
Can anyone email/scan or post a pic/details or a part out of a Gregorys on the setup of the Vacuum hoeses on a standard 3.3L Carby (Varjet II).

Your help would be appricated.

Last edited:

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Thanks

Thanks guys for your help!

She was running sweet as again but now got some major issues me thinks - The rotor button is not turning in side the dizzy, Pulled it out, shaft is fine left it out and got a friend to crank the engine doesn't look like the gear inside the engine is turning to make the rotor turn? Any idea's anyone?? Please urgent help required.

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
The "gear inside the engine" that spins the dizzy drive gear is actually part of the cam.
If it's not turning then your cam is not turning which points to a (common prob) stripped timing gear on the front of the cam.

These are only pressed fibre & strip with age/wear.

As a confirmation, lift the oil cap out & watch the rockers while someone cranks over the motor. If the rockers don't move it's definately a stripped timing gear.

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Next question then, Is how does one fix this problem?

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
I suggest you get yourself a gregorys manual for the car first off.

If you get lost with what I write below then I suggest you enlist the help of a mate who has done one before - almost every DIY mechanic from the 70s & 80s has done a holden 6 timing gear......

You need to remove the fan & shroud, accessory pulleys & brackets, radiator (to create enough space) and then the harmonic balancer needs removing with a puller.
One that's off you can undo the timing cover off the front of the motor, stuff a heap of rags down the opening to the sump, drill/grind/chisel the old fibre gear off (it has a steel centre which is best removed by drilling down each side & splitting it off the cam.

Then get a new alloy timing gear for the cam (about $40), line it up on the front of the motor so it and the crank gear have their 2 dots touching (you'll probably have to crank the motor over by hand for this).

Then heat the new gear up in the oven - yes the oven - for quite some time (like over an hour at about 170-180 degrees) while you clean all traces of crud off the front of the motor, and wash the front of the block & cam surface with thinners to remove all traces of oil (otherwise it smokes like buggery).

Then get the timing gear from the oven, using tongs & welding gloves, then line up the 2 timing dots, jam the gear on the front of the cam & firmly thump it home before it cools & grabs tight.
This way you don't have to remove the cam form the block & have it pressed off & on.

Don't hit it too hard as you can force the cam out the rear of the block (pushing out a welsh plug in the process).

Then assembly is the reverse of removal.

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Thanks heaps for this, I have got a Gregorys for the car. Near would thought of that trick!

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
mixin said:
Don't hit it too hard as you can force the cam out the rear of the block (pushing out a welsh plug in the process).
Just another bit of a tip. What my Dad and I did was take the fuel pump off, and hold a large blade screwdriver on the cam lobe while the timing gear is being installed to prevent the cam from moving. ;)

Also, we carefully used an air hammer to drive the gear on.