Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk/vn k frame

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Hay guys am currently doing a vk Calais (308) I got hold of a vn 5litre I've pulled everything out of it and was just wondering do I need to use the vn kframe as well I know the 304 will bolt straight in but I did read somewhere using the vn k frame will give me more clearance when fitting extractors and what not has anyone put a vn 304 into their vk with out changing the kframes over? Cheers guys

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
gives you more clearance because steering racks are different BTW you need to use vl rack

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
No worries mate so it would create issues if I was to leave the vk kframe in? And why the vl rack?

davemoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
No worries mate so it would create issues if I was to leave the vk kframe in? And why the vl rack?

Hi, Vl to Vs racks have different mounting points than VB to VK and are a bit more compact so gives more room. If you want manual steering and use the later K frame you will need a VL manual rack as VN onwards all had power steering. The VL to VS V8 K frame looks nearly same as early one just the rack mounting points are a bit further towards the centre and slightly lower. I went thru this with my VK to get more room for extractors mainly on right side. I put LS engine in so needed the extra room. I think should be o.k. with 308 but someone else who has done it might share more info on it.

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Cool stuff mate thanks for the advice I just don't want more work then what I have to haha so pretty much if I transfer everything from then vn into the vk I should have no drama as I want power steering, the vk already has power steering in it

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I've done 304vn in to vh. I learnt my 202 kframe was identical to the vn frame. Vn frame used. I have no probs with std steel headers and clearance. Yes its vn power steering also.

davemoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
Cool stuff mate thanks for the advice I just don't want more work then what I have to haha so pretty much if I transfer everything from then vn into the vk I should have no drama as I want power steering, the vk already has power steering in it

Hi, Yes should be fine, just have to use VN rack. Then you may have to modify steering shaft to go from VK steering column to VN rack, not sure if VN intermediate shaft will fit onto VK column. Bloke who put last post up should be able to tell you as sounds like that is what he has done.

Dave

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I used a VS k-frame in the VH after rack to extractor clearance issues.
I also had to fit a VN steering rack and VL intermediate steering shaft so the rack fit the VH steering shaft

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Yes correct, steering shaft was spliced. Vh upper vn lower. We pulled the shafts apart at the collapsible joint. Was not easy to sepperate but it did work.