Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK - What side of Coil do I place immobiliser?

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Do I cut the negative side of the coil (this will then run the switching voltage through the immobiliser) or the positive side (constant voltage)?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
funny you should ask that. i have just spent all day gettiung my new, shiny immobiliser installed. got it all up and running and the stupid thing doesnt disarm on primary or secondary. only the third stage works and that is just not good enough.

anyway, as far as i was aware, signal or voltage should be passed through the same from both poles, so if one side of the imm is positive 12V, then when disarmed the other side will be 12V if one side is sig inp 0.3V then so is the other. etc tec cte

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
My Mongoose alarm rekons 15 amps max for the immobilisation points. I guess other alarms would be similar. Would the power to the coil be more then 15 amps? That's one thing I've been curious about. Especially as the ignition wire to the coil is pretty thick, and the immobiliser wires are thin.....just doesn't seem right.

I know earthing out the coil (negative side) will kill the ignition....dunno if it will do any damage to the coil if earthed out for long periods...but if not ya could just wire one imm point to that. Youd have to wire it up through a relay tho otherwise I don't think u could get it to work using that method.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
install a relay on the power side of the coil this will drop the 12 volts and kill the spark , grounding the negative side of the coil will work too but not recommend long term damage to coil can occur from doing so

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Thanks for all the ideas, so from the feedback it appears the best way is to break it on the positive side of the coil with a relay? The immobiliser I have is rated at 30amp so could go the cheap way and let that do the work alternately.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
yeah, i doubt your coil will draw 30A my thermos are fitted with a 20a fuse, so you should be ok.

What other points did you immobilise?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
i got electric fuel pump so did that, one of the signal wires from the dizzy and main power to the 6al.

there are dummy wires going everywhere, i worked on it all day yesterday and still have not finished. mate once its done, i would like to see someone take her :D

There's only a few wires ya need to get it running tho....so instead of a theif trying to source them all....he could just run new wires. So for the fuel pump, just run a wire from the battery to the pump, will turn it on, run another to the coil (if the dizzy is through the immob, snip them and join them to the + and - on the coil), then use a screwdriver to make contact with the 12v on the starter and the starter solenoid to kick it over. But not sure how the msd's are wired up so that's got me lol.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
personally I would hook it up via relay to the neutral start switch wiring (connector located at front of console) Even if your car isn't an auto, the connector is still there, it's just bridged. The starter won't even engage if you use this method.

Cutting the coil wire is so common knowledge that it's not very effective.