Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL 308 V8 into VN SS - will it bolt straight in?

Ssambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Sedan, VY 3.8 Wagon, VY SS 5.7 Sedan
Hey all!

I'm about to embark on a VN 05 Brock racecar replica build and the VN SS I'm using currently has no engine, so I'll be looking to buy one soon.

Because the racecars of that era used carburetted engines, I'm thinking that I might go with an older 308 and auto for the driveline. Only problem is, I have no idea whether or not the older engine and box will bolt straight in.

Does anyone know if this will work? I'm trying to avoid having to get the thing certified if I can help it, so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Can be done but not sure if you can register the car with a carby engine. In NSW you can't.

Engine and gearbox will bolt straight in from a VL but I'd suggest just thowing in a VN-VS V8 engine with efi and registering the car with the new engine, then changing the standard banana manifold to carby or running one of these

HOLDEN-Intake-Manifold-304-355-4-BBL-Throttle.jpg

Looks like carby but is efi

I think the VL V8 were also trimatic pattern not turbo so you'd have to find the right gearbox to suit too.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I agree with everything above. The most cost effective way of doing a conversion is buying a complete vn-vs v8 and selling everything else. Often you can recoup your money from the initial purchase by selling the parts you won't need (statesmans are good for this due to their higher trim levels etc).

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Vl 5.0L is a 304ci (4987cc)

So it's just using a crappy old carby 304 with less power than a newer better efi 304.
As above, just use a newer engine and trans and buy a new inlet manifold and throw TBI on it.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
So does a carby VL 304 have 308 carby or 304 EFI valve layout?
If the latter, are the heads unique to the VL engine?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
VL's have the old style port layout with l34 sized valves and hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel. But the compression is also lower and is choked by emissions gear. Despite the good heads, they were pretty much the most gutless 5L's from the factory.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Same port layout as 253/308 heads.
Including the egr port from the exhaust to the inlet manifold.

Another reason it'd be better using EFI heads.

Ssambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Sedan, VY 3.8 Wagon, VY SS 5.7 Sedan
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll be sticking with the EFI engine! ;) Cheers!