Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Calais Price

SMOKN_LJ

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
LJ Torana, VL Calais
What would be the going rate for a close to stock vl calais 6 cyl auto, a mate at work has one for around $5000, would this be a good price to pay. It is a very clean car with about 170000 kms.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I have seen nice clean examples go for $3500-$4500 some are even willing to pay more, a friends dad had a vr calais with a couple of scratches on the side and sold it for $5000. Try and talk him down a little if you can, never pay the full asking price unless you really really really really really want the car and it hurts to not have it, try to find some things wrong with it to help you bargain the price down a bit. does it have any extras like leather? etc.

RankONE

www.warfilms.biz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
the price for vl calais vary depending on their condition, kms, and the location(cheaper in sydney than here in newy). though if ya go to www.redbook.com.au you can view the "book value" of almost any car including the calais and even read the specs!!!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
SMOKN_LJ said:
What would be the going rate for a close to stock vl calais 6 cyl auto, a mate at work has one for around $5000, would this be a good price to pay. It is a very clean car with about 170000 kms.

Because of the VLC's "cult" image, it retains a higher value than other Calais even thou its getting on in years. I would say pick it to pieces, drop the price, but be willing to pay higher prices if you really want a good VLC.

D.

S

Steve-0

the going rate in perth is about $5000 for a good con one, thats with min or very little mods, like maybe a stereo and an exhaust, there are a few that go for $3500, but the paint isnt usually too good. i had a look for ages for one but ended up goin a 1 owner berlina

SMOKN_LJ

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
LJ Torana, VL Calais
i had a really good look at this car today, it has i tiny bit of rust around the windows, paint is really good for 18 year old paint, has a minor p/steer rack leak, interior looks new, it looks like it has had the seat covers on from day one. the motor sounds good, no tapping and doesnt blow smoke, its got extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust. all electrical stuff works, would it be worth 5000 with 11 months rego

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
SMOKN_LJ said:
i had a really good look at this car today, it has i tiny bit of rust around the windows, paint is really good for 18 year old paint, has a minor p/steer rack leak, interior looks new, it looks like it has had the seat covers on from day one. the motor sounds good, no tapping and doesnt blow smoke, its got extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust. all electrical stuff works, would it be worth 5000 with 11 months rego

sounds like its worth it 2 me just try and get the price down coz of the rust and then it means more money in ur poket 2 spend, did u look under the parcel shelf for rust becauyse if its the rear window with the rust then it would leak on to the shelf and proberly rusted the shelf. and all so check the boots ruber seals lip it normally rusts away and brakes off, this is a very comman thing

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
is that price with a rwc? it still seems high there are so many over here tho prolly why. Take it for a drive before you buy it too and listen for noisy lifters (tick tick tick tick), harsh vibrations when accelerating. Also pop the bonnet and make sure the struts are the same height (if they aren't its been hit in the front hard). and just make sure everything works properly.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
with the rust i'd be askin about the $4500 mark maybe even lower. But sounds like an ok car

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
sounds ok. rack would be about $400 to replace yourself. doesnt generally matter if its a minor or major lead, racks fall to bits once the start to leak.

Rust around the screens can cost anything to fix. average seems to be between $800 and $1500.

keep these figures in mind if you make him an offer.

if you got it for $4000 youd be laughing, $4500 with a roadworthy.

Anything over 5k and he MUST provide a roadworthy certificate.