Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl dash into vh/vk

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
hey all haven't been on here for a while but i need some help.

ok this is a bit tricky to explain but ill try.

me and me bro (Danny8) are currently halfway through putting a vl dash into his vk (and soon my vh as well) and i have come across a problem with the demister/wiper switches (vl ones).

when the switches are in the vl's they work as a 'push-on push-off' sorta thing, ie when u push one of the buttons the demister (or windscreen wipers) would turn on and when you push the button again it would turn off.

now my problem is: i haven't yet hooked them up in the car but have been tinkering around with them on my jump starter pack and multi meter. i cant get the switch working properly how it should be, instead when you push the button it only stays on for the time that your finger is on the button and when taken off the switch turns off. Confused? yea thought so lol

i had the same problem when putting a vk dash into my vh with the demister button so i made a seperate toggle switch for it but i want to find a solution this time.

so yea dats me problem, we're rewiring most of the loom under the dash and fuse box and stuff, so ill prolly do just about anything the get em working.

thanks in advance for everyones help

Brad

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
what you are describing is 2 types of switches...

1. Standard "ON" / "OFF" switch
2. Momentary "ON" switch

1. works by: click once - on.... click again off....
2. works by: HOLD - on .... let go off ....

what you may find is the ACTUAL PHYSICAL switch is a momentary switch, and the reason it worked as a standard "ON/OFF" was the circuitry behind it.

what I'm saying is... physically, the switch ONLY connected when your finger was on it... and the light in the switch comes on and stays on because the system is on.... (ie: light is not directly connected to switch)

so what you need to do, is dig up a schematic (wiring diagram) of the VL demister circuit and see how it keeps on... then merge that into your new loom in the VH....

do you understand?

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
yea mate i understand. i was starting to think that.
i had a look at a wiring diagram but couldn't find much, prolly cuz i dont exactly know what i am looking for but i will have a deeper look and see if i can find it.

thanks for ur help mate

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We found the culprit....located just above the kick panel on the driver side.

DSCF4083640x480.jpg

And for anyone doing something similar, here's a diagram showing which wire's wat.

SAT_SWITCH_DIAGRAM.jpg