Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Dash into VK

E

electric_monk

I've read a few past posts, I am quite new to all of this but I wish to install a VL dash into a VK with a really cracked complete dash. It should line up ok, just wondering if the wiring will be a problem? Also the VL dash in question is a sports dash, with analogue displays.

Any help is much appreciated! I wanna drive my vk now that I have it.

C

CalaisVKiller

As far as i know the only two types of vl dashes a normal one and ac calais personally i dont know why'd you bother vl dash i reckon they look **** and there is nothing better about them. Wiring would be a hassle as i'm guessing yours is a carbie and not efi.Vk and vl's are totally different motors and nothing is the same. Just get a new vk one.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yeh i was considering a VL tacho cluster into my VH, but i reckon I will keep looking for a VH tacho cluster

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
vl dash is ****? the vk dash would have to be the ugliest dash ive seen... apart from the new hilux's, theyre nasty

E

electric_monk

Yeah I've been looking at the different dashes and some previous posts and decided given the ease of installation and the fact that it doesn't have the same look of the vk dash I wanna install the vl dash, plus there seems be be more use for rpm rather than vacuum anyhow. It seems like a good way to make my vk stand out a little.

C

CalaisVKiller

You can get tacho vk dashes. Or just buy the tacho and swap it for the the vacum. There's not much point to a tacho in an auto.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
CalaisVKiller said:
You can get tacho vk dashes. Or just buy the tacho and swap it for the the vacum. There's not much point to a tacho in an auto.
there not much point to a tacho in any car unless it frequently punches redline

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Having a tacho in an auto is ok, its handy to know how many revs ur ideling on and how manys rpms your gettin in a gear and also how many rpms you sit on at top speed etc. but whether you have a shift light is a different story.

I think its pointless havin a boost/vac gauge on non turbo or S/C motors.
I also thinks its stupid when ppl put in aftermarket water temp and oil press gauges when they alread have em in the dash.

Big-Stu

Reaction score
Members Ride
'83 VH slightly modded
Well I've just finished putting a VL dash into a VL and I gotta tell you there is some work involved like:
There's an extra mounting bracket for the VL dash panel that is spot welded to the cross brace frame.

The 3 mounting points for the dash just below the windscreen are different.

The rubber surround for the windscreen has to be partially cut away to allow the dash to fit correctly.

Mounting points on the transmission tunnel for the centre console are different

Auto gear shifter is in a different position.

Air Con pipes are in a different position.

And probably heaps of other little things that I've forgotten.

I've just finished doing a transplant of a VL motor, auto gearbox, diff, wiring loom, and dash into a VH commodore. And why you ask: Cos the VH has done a genuine 102,000 klm, one owner, garaged all it's life, and is in immaculate condition. The VH motor was getting lousy economy and it sure don't like unleaded petrol.

Time taken so far is about 3 months and just about finished - mod plates get fitted in 2 days. The end is in sight!!!

Stu

E

electric_monk

about how much does a vk dash go for at a wreckers? i think i'll just go with what works.