Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL fuel economy

O

Oz scooterboy

Howdy all,
im just a newbie to this site and of course have a VL, stock 6cyl, 88 model, i have my car on lpg and am only getting aprox 5 and a half kms/litre in city driving on lpg and aprox 6 and a half kms/litre of fuel, is this normal??? :unsure:
any help appreciated.

sully

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
yeah thats quite normal, all but the newest cars that run gas via an injection system get crap economy on lpg, which also affects your economy on petrol cause the car's tuned for gas not petrol... mine is the same... around town i can only get around 300k's to a tank and thats if i'm REALLY REALLY tryin... if you have a 60L gas tank which generally VL ones are then you're getting about 330k's... but i'm converting mine to manual sooner or later so hopefully slightly better economy for me.... that said with the prices of gas these days... the difference in economy means it doesnt work out to be the huge saving it used to be... :ranting:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
that's pretty **** economy. when you work out that i get twice that, roughly 600km per tank or so is it really worth having gas. considering cars don't go as well performance wise plus the extra weight of the tank and plumbing. plus the lack of boot space.

O

Oz scooterboy

thanks for the replies, i know my car equals about 18litres/100km and my mates 5 year old 6cyc uses 12litres/100km, i just wanted to make sure something wasnt a miss.

:wave:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
my carby V8 is getting something around what yours is getting, maybe a fraction less, say 14-16. Id say something is amiss.

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
im getting about just over 200 a tank with optimax...best i got was on a tank of woolys unleaded bout 350km.

M

megee83

bangers said:
that's pretty **** economy. when you work out that i get twice that, roughly 600km per tank or so is it really worth having gas. considering cars don't go as well performance wise plus the extra weight of the tank and plumbing. plus the lack of boot space.

As far as i know lpg is actually a higher octane fuel then the petrol we all get at the pump...pretty sure anyway. but to answer your question, no, its not really worth the conversion anymore money wise due to increased gas prices and the poorer economy you get. but, tree huggin wise, yeah it is... :yeah: as for the extra weight, if you are runnin a dedicated gas system then the weight of the tank is off-set by the loss of weight from the petrol tank.

I work in the oil/gas field and you will all be happy to know that we ship the majority of our lpg overseas, for far far cheaper then what we all pay here domestically... good on ya Johnny! f*cker!

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
lpg

Last I heard we were selling LPG to japan for 6 cents a Lt..

M

megee83

this will break your heart... as far as i know, its closer to about 3cents a litre... dont shoot the messenger.

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
i run mine on normal unleaded and i get 350k's if im good city driving 450 +++ highway