Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL fuel tank and pump problems

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
:wax: Hi guys and girls just letting you know what i found when fuel pumps w'ere playing up and sucking air. I removed sender unit as the pumps w'ere sucking air and i was running out of gas with 1/4 of a tank left. well it seems that the LV pump in the tank was leaking air into the pump from the top , as well as the little filter bag on the end was the wrong one for the car as it looked like a old sewing bag that had been pushed down in the middle so the two ends w'ere sitting up out of the gas so it was sucking air, have replaced filter with a flat one and sealed the top of the pump,and now no more fuel problems at all. :p

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
I would have replaced the internal pump
this pump sits directly on top of a swirlpot and it seems the filter bag can overhang an end of it so the pump intake isnt down far enough in the swirlpot to pick up the fuel properly

the gasket is still available from holden
both fuel pumps are available in several brands and prices so shop around

I assume petrol doesnt conduct electricity as theres no insulation on the electric connections in the tank

a short length of rubber hose on the internal pump is said to sometimes rot

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
You Dont know what way bag go's on the end of the L/V pump as one end is longer then the other. i would say the longer end face's the back of the tank??

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
does anyone know how big the swirlpot is ? couldnt see or feel it on my VL thru the opening

try to position the new filter bag the same as the old one

perhaps the eeasiest way to drain the tank would be to take out the internal pump then jack up the front off the car a long way?? the bottom of tank slopes down when level

running a wire thru the inlet pipe to the swirlpot may be good as Ive herd of this becoming chocked up over the years