Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl fuel tank - factory internal swirl tank

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
When I was pulling apart the vl/vn/vr/vp tanks the other day (to check the pumps and setups etc) I noticed that on the inside of the tank where the fuel pickup goes it sits inside a plastic tank.

how does the fuel get in to the plastic fuel pot ?

Are there holes in the bottom or something ?

Q

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
fuel comes from engine fuel return pipeto tank then thru rubber hose in tank to bottom of swirl pot, if this hose is damaged I don't think it could be reapired as it cant be got at in the tank

bottom of pump with attached filter bag most sit down in swirlpot, bag mustn't hit the side of swirlpot, or pump will be too high, it can all be quite frustrating

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
vl/vn the return line from the tank hangs above the swirl pot and returns it that way.

There is a hole in the base also, the later vr/vs connects to the base of the swirl pot (forget the technical name for it all) but the pressurised fuel shoots into a venturi, as it goes past create a low pressure area and the fuel from the tank is sucked in with it (kinda like how a carby works, air rushes past and the fuel is sucked out of the jet)... can't remember vl tanks but i've seen the connection on a VN tanks swirl pot unused (had the provision for it but apparently dumping into the top was an easier option)

I think in the VR/VS section there is a thread somewhere that has a tank cut open with pics.

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
Thanks JXW

I remember seeing the return line hanging above the swirl pot, thats what got me to thinking how the fuel got in there to fill the pump. I guess the hole/s in the bottom of the tank allow the gas in but stop it flooding out as you turn,

just wondering as I still have a surge / miss while the tank is 1/4 full (or less).

Q

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
How was the piece of fuel hose connecting the top of the pump to the metal fuel line on the sender? that's a common place to have an issue on vl's, it's fine while it's under the fuel level, but once the level drops below it then there can be issues.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
These Vl tanks are a right royal pain in the you no what - JXW is right about the rubber joiner on the intank pump, 99% of them have failed & that causes all sorts of issues. They run out of fuel around quarter of a tank & can cut cylinders down etc through starvation, i've bought 3 Tanks for my wagon so far & each ones been toast. Think i'm going to go Vr/Vs next - i'll chuck up a few pics here for you.....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
What you need is to get a small lad that's about 9 years old that has a bit of aptitude with tools and can get a spindle drive inside the tank with his small hand. No fat or obese kids will do for this job. Then he can undo the worm drive clamp and pull off the last bit of hose that's left on the fitting. Now get a length of FUEL HOSE that's the correct size and get the lad to slide it onto the fitting and the slip the clamp over it from the outside of the tank. Once again get the kid to do up the clamp with the spindle drive and then the jobs done. The end that fits onto the return side of the tank inlet is easy enough to do from outside the tank.

The best way is to bribe the kid with $20 and he'll get the job done for you and you'll never have to buy another old tank again. It's a win win situation.

Spaarkee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
What you need is to get a small lad that's about 9 years old that has a bit of aptitude with tools and can get a spindle drive inside the tank with his small hand. No fat or obese kids will do for this job. Then he can undo the worm drive clamp and pull off the last bit of hose that's left on the fitting. Now get a length of FUEL HOSE that's the correct size and get the lad to slide it onto the fitting and the slip the clamp over it from the outside of the tank. Once again get the kid to do up the clamp with the spindle drive and then the jobs done. The end that fits onto the return side of the tank inlet is easy enough to do from outside the tank.

The best way is to bribe the kid with $20 and he'll get the job done for you and you'll never have to buy another old tank again. It's a win win situation.
Mate you are 100% Correct! my 7 year old managed to get both old hose clamps off! We put some new submersible fuel hose on the Swirl Pot Using a long socket extension bit in 1 end and guided it on. Once on we got some 400mm Long Pliers and Managed to grip it and get the otehr end on to the left of the Sender Unit hole.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Mate you are 100% Correct! my 7 year old managed to get both old hose clamps off! We put some new submersible fuel hose on the Swirl Pot Using a long socket extension bit in 1 end and guided it on. Once on we got some 400mm Long Pliers and Managed to grip it and get the otehr end on to the left of the Sender Unit hole.

Absolutely !

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
8yrs on, still saving lives :cool: