Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL motors

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the diiferent types of motors that the VL came out with.... Like RB30 etc...

Which is the best one...

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Aussie VL's (Non Export) Came with:

RB30E- 3.0L Inline 6, Overhead Cam, Electronic Fuel Injected

RB30ET- 3.0L Turbocharged Inline 6, Overhead Cam, Fuel Injected

5.0L 304ci Pushrod, Carby V8

The VL Walkinshaw was fitted with Holdens first injected V8, basically the same pushrod V8 with a revamped top end and the famous twin throttle bodies.

Without a doubt both the RB (Race Bred) Nissan motors are the best if you can't afford a Walky :p , choosing between the two depends on how much power you want. Both are very strong 6's, with the turbo motor capable of making big power. Back when Holden released the turbo 6 it overshadowed the V8 by making more power and outperforming the Group A SS. Holden were forced to market the non performance orientated V8's as tow cars, one of the ads for the V8 Berlina actally showed a bloke putting his boat in.

NZ VL's (Export) also came with an RB20E option, basicaly the same motor with a shorter stroke hence 2.0L.

Specs on the complete RB engine series and more of my babble can be found at the below link....

http://www.rbforums.com/specsEngines.php

Jake.

Last edited:

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Thanks.... ;)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Mmmmm.. I've been hearing alot of conflicting arguments about the old Race Bred orientation of the name. Many people are just saying, wheres it say it in any official documentation, some lad must have made it up and its stuck since.

For example.. VQ - Very Quick?
SR - Super Reliable ?? Soapy Rack... etc

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
haha trust you to ruin it Bax, Race Bred sounds fully sik bro ;) Seriously I've heard the same thing, I got my RB translation from a Jap R31 site, maybe they started it.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
lol that's a point but the RB20 was the first RB, the 3.0L started purely as an export motor. Carby was your typical 4x4 motor, they figured Aussie four wheel drivers would have enough trouble decyphering EFI, let alone diagnosing/repairing it :D

Last edited:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I wouldn't mind a carby rb30, ever since I saw the one thats in the back powering a little speed boat, that was on ebay I think, the idea has been sweet.. If you were too slack to bother with wiring, just triple carbs, big big cam and just the random bits.. I'd love to hear it..

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
2.0 or 3.0 motors???

hi im trying to find out if these motors are the nissan 3.0 or 2.0 six, i have been given two vl commodores but not sure how to tell if the motors are 3.0 or 2.0 as they look the same. will it say on the plate on the firewall or is there another way that i can find out cause im sure the vin plates have gone. cars have been sitting on a farm for a few years hence no plates.

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Look at the sticker on the ECU.