Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL poor fuel economy-check this

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
so which one is the sensor? the yellow two pin plug or the small black slide one?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Small black slide in one. PS I can't remember what we were talking about.. I'm assuming its the coolant temp sensor.

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
coz if it is the 2 pin yellow plug, one of my clips is broken that holds it on, would this stop it from making good contact with the pins? it just seems to sit there it doesn't come off but its not secure at all, what is involved in changing the plug?

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
cheers gonna break out the sand paper coz its dirty as hell

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
get a little flat blade or one of mums metal skewers and scratch the bugger like a flea ridden dog till its shinny again so you will get a good contact, if it looks like a vynle floor of a kitchen after an 18th B\day party and no lustre, it needs a buff!

Decksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S, VZ Adentura, JH II Cruze, VL Wag ned2sell
So if this plug is used by the dash and the ecu then if the temp gauge never come up to operating temp but the engine is warm then you would have a problem???? yes

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
or it could be the thermostat. if thats stuck open then it ain't going to warm up. meaning it will be in cold start mode. i changed the thermostat in mine the other day. thermostat opens when the gauge gets to half way(obviously this is operating temp).
before it would sit on the very first mark and thats it. still to see if i get more than 200KM/tank. as the dizzy **** it's self, i fixed it but go no money now to get a timming light lol. but yeah, car runs alot more smoother now. so ireckon fuel econ will be better. also i adjusted the AFM to standard setting of 382ohms, it was at like 336ohms.

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
TAILS83 said:
or it could be the thermostat. if thats stuck open then it ain't going to warm up. meaning it will be in cold start mode. i changed the thermostat in mine the other day. thermostat opens when the gauge gets to half way(obviously this is operating temp).
before it would sit on the very first mark and thats it. still to see if i get more than 200KM/tank. as the dizzy **** it's self, i fixed it but go no money now to get a timming light lol. but yeah, car runs alot more smoother now. so ireckon fuel econ will be better. also i adjusted the AFM to standard setting of 382ohms, it was at like 336ohms.

whats up with the ohms for the afm. could you explain that to me

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
volts not ohms. Plug a multimeter into the two end wires on the afm and you should get about 3.6-4V, if not, turn the screw left/right till you get it. Give it a day or two and check to make sure it stays same.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Bucket said:
volts not ohms. Plug a multimeter into the two end wires on the afm and you should get about 3.6-4V, if not, turn the screw left/right till you get it. Give it a day or two and check to make sure it stays same.

well that maybe one way(but it's actually a test to see if it's functioning), as in described in the gregories manual(although the way u described it is wrong way of doing it anyway). you may need to read the gregories manual to see what i mean.

the other way to actually put it to the correct setting, is to put a multi-meter to the 2 end wires(terminal 1 and 6 on the AFM) and and get a reading of 382ohms. if u don't turn the crew till u do. easy as. puts it to the factory setting.