Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Problems

V

vlmel

Hello,
I was hoping someone could help me. i am having a few problems with my vl. It is making a really loud ticking sound & doesn't feel like its running on all cylinders, it idols really rough & sometimes stalls.It has lost so much power & sounds like a lawn mower. I was told it could be my injectors or hydraulic lifters & valves. Can anyone give me an idea on what it could be.
Thanks
Mel

D

DamoVL

hey Mel - the tapping noise would porb be your rockers

try some nulon lifter free, it works wonders for my VL. and if after 500 or K'ms that sound is still there, more then likley the lifters are damaged

whats ur fuel consumpsion like? and is it a auto?

when was ur transmssion last services? and last oil change? also what about ur air sensor?

D.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
oh my sounds like mine when I bought it!

I checked the AFM & it was waaayyy out, blowing a liitle black smoke, running rich & threatening to stall. All that fixed by fixing the AFM.

But I do have a tick too, Ill try nulon lifter free thanks DamoVL.

D.

V

vlmel

Thanks for your advise guys,
yeah it's an auto & the oil was changed only a week ago because the oil smelt like fuel(not good).....& i'm not sure about the air sensor or transmission oil. i will get that looked at this afternoon. i drove it yesterday & it was still making a ticking sound but appart from that it drove sweet & then this morning i got in it & it was back to driving like a lawn mower.???
Mel :)

V

vlmel

& it's eating through the fuel. i filled the tank up 2 days ago & have gone throught 1/2 tank & only done 114k

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
yeah my money is on AFM outta whack, try checking ECU & see if fault codes come up or just do what I did, grab yourself a multimeter & check AFM is set to 386 or thereabouts.

D.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
If the Nulon lifter free doesn't work (or stops working as in my case) then your lifters are prob too sludged for the cleaning agents to get in. Pulling them apart and cleaning them, then re-priming them is also an option that I'm currently experimenting with. Results so far are promicing, although im yet to run one of my rebuilt lifters in my car they are acting as they should when pushed.

Should get a chance to install them in a few weeks, look out for a write up then.

Mike

PS: Clicking noises can also be noisey injectors

B

burley

could be faulty spark plug leads.my berlina been doing the same thing,blowing black smoke,bad fuel economy and wanting to stall, I replaced the leads today and and straight away idled perfect. gave it a rev no black smoke.my advice dont touch or remove AFM yet,just replace the leads.Cost $54 from Supercheap auto for the kit of 7.Replace em one by one.ie take one off put one on.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
you said you smelt fuel in the oil could be stuffed injector???

C

calais-ice

Hi Mel.
i had a mate whos car started running rough and oil smelt like fuel. all i know is it was head gasket had blown between two cylinder bores. this meant that every compression stroke the fuel was pushed into the oil cavities. may be worth checking out. Although his car was almost undrivable.

Ash