Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Reborn - Making the best from a bad situation

Beardie

NDK
Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Turbo, 1984 VK Berlina v8, 1998 VT Wagon
Hey Guys and Girls
This is my 1987 VL Executive Turbo,
This car is my 2nd VL. before this one i had Another 87 VL exec turbo in the same colour, which had this whole drive line in, but after a altercation with a truck, she was sadly a write off. luckly the whole driveline bar the front mont and intercooler piping and the rear resi was undamaged so the decision was made to re shell the car.

this all happened about 6 months ago, so i started saving some coin and found strangly enough another VL in the same colour as my old one but with the blue interior (old one was gray) in great nick for a great price so thinking it must of been fate (not a lot of VLs in this colour) i snapped her up.

so now i had a completly and i mean completly stock clean 1987 VL executive and a crashed one with all the good gear. so i drove the VL around for a few months while i continued to save up. then after buying a few more performance parts (hey who wouldnt lol) i had everything i needed to swap it all over

first thing i did was aquire a full gray series 2 calais interior (hated the blue) and between using that and all the good bits from my crashed VL i swapped out all the blue stuff for gray, including putting in the calais gray headliner (tuff job not keen to repeat that one anytime soon lol)

after that my mate said we could take the VL into his shop and start doing the swap over after hours. at this point it was 2 months to nats and i had entered the car so we set to work.

it may seem from my post that it was all smooth sailing but it was anything but, after a ingnition booster failing on us we had huge issues with teh car not starting and then missing very bad but after Kit from gentech came and worked his magic on the car she started to run like a dream.

things ended up being so tight that we only finished the car on the wednesday of summernats and my first drive of the car was to scuritenearing that night. anyways the car ran like a dream all weekend and didnt miss a beat and im over the moon with how its come out! Now i cant wait for sydney powercruise where i can really open her up!

I also want to say a Huge thank you to my mate graeme with out him i would of never got the car done, the guy is a genius with cars and im sure u will all hear more about him in the years to come :)
Also i want to thank all of my other mates for helping out, Brad, Chris, Matt, Dummett my brother Ryan, Dumbrell, Luke, Wog jon and Sally for the part all of you played in helping me get this car done.

Anyways enough chit chat here are the specs!

Name: Beardie

Model: SL

Colour: light Blue

Bodykit: NONE

Engine Type: RB30

Engine Mods: high flow oil pump, ARP head studs, ARP main studs, Spool rods, headwork and turbo cam, romac balancer, Mahle forged pistons, gates racing timing belt, ACL racing gasket kit, new bearings, GT35/40 turbo, ViPec computer, front mount cooler, plus heaps more just CBF writing it all down lol

Power: 235RWKW on very safe tune running only 11psi atm with retune and more boost will have 300rwkw

Exhaust: 3in with a 3in motar cat

Gearbox: Full manual shift Jatco with 2700 stall

Diff: 3.9 gears with 28 spline billet axels and a LSD

Brakes: standed VL Turbo

Suspension: All new noalthane bushes threw out and pedders sport rider springs

Wheels/Tyres: 20in ANZ Five+fives

Interior: Converted from Exec Blue to Full S2 Calais gray including headliner

Stereo: Alpine head unit, Hiphonic splits eclipse rear speakers, pioneer 4 channel amp 2x pioneer 12in champion series subs, eclipse mono block amp (about to be installed)

Cost: dont wanna think about it lol

Contacts: Notdadz Kustoms

Future Mods: white 5 spoke 20s(supersports) , Calais nose cone, install stereo,
retune with more boost!

and here she is sitting on the grass at Summernats 25!

VLNats.jpg

here are all the build pics

Heres the car with the old motor pulled out
IMG_0894.jpg

My mate Graeme putting on the JD customs plemium i bought for the motor
IMG_0897.jpg

Graeme and Brad helping drop the motor Turbo motor in
IMG_0909.jpg

Motor and box in.
IMG_0911.jpg
mocking up the 3in intercooler piping
IMG_0928.jpg

intake side of piping
IMG_0933.jpg

Trans cooler mounted
IMG_0957.jpg

Completed Engine Bay
IMG_0977.jpg

Car being run up on the dyno
IMG_0972.jpg

and heres the finished car Pics

Finished and ready for Summernats!
IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

Beardie

NDK
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replys guys, she really was a hell of a lot of work but it was worth it, i love the way it drives :)

Beardie

NDK
Reaction score
Members Ride
well guys and girls i have found a few pics of my VL at Summernats on the internet so i thought i would post them up here, still waiting on my mate to give me the video of one of my burnouts but i have a couple of teaser pics of 2 skids ill throw up now :)

let me know what you all think.
Cheers

GavVLenginebay.jpg

GavVL2.jpg

Skid pics!
GavVLBurnout2.jpg

GavVLBurnout1.jpg

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
hey bud where is the boot strip and corner moulds ?

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
HAHA i thought the same thing but their just same colour as the car

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
nice and neat mate,great vl.

danbotten

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive series II 3.8 ecotec
the build is looking good definatly somthing ide drive.

Beardie

NDK
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the kind words guys :)
im on the look out for a new set of 20s i have had five+fives on nearly all my cars at some point lol and im ready for a change.

car has been entered in Sydney Powercruise so im really looking forward to that. its also going to be getting a retune and more boost for powercruise i cant wait