Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl rough as guts

muffman001

Reaction score
Website
nfateam.informe.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina soon to be turbo'd
hi i own a vl jul 1986 3ltr witch has done 385,000km with orignal moter head and trans but i have had a few problems with it eg used to blow smoke some thing cronic black smoke ideling driveing anytime untill i put some injector cleaner in it whole bottel to $5 of premuim now no smoke but the plugs tend to get chared up with a thick layer of black soot and the fewms are shocking
so i am forced to clean the plugs one a week or even less i also noted that one of the fuel line has a small dent in it would this cause the probs? also i can here noses from the tank slurping whyl driveing and when i turn the car on and also when i start the car after it has been sitting for a few days the car has very bad flat spots untill it warms up what could this be if anyone could help or give me idears on how to test things like ecu and map sencers o2 cencers that would be great thanks p.s here is my commodore witch i plan to customise it already has vr side skirts and spoiler 15 inch mags a custom stereo witch includes sony cd 52X4 headunit witch goes into a 7 band eq for orignal vl dash speakers via front high output and a audiosonic 4 way 400w rms amp running 2 pionner 12 inch bullit subs 800w each running parralell and a 10 inch sony sub 500w running of rear rca output of head unit and a road sound 4 way 400w rms amp running 4 rockabilly 300w 1 inch dome tweeters running in pairs and a set of sony 6x9 in the front doors and a pair or kenwood 7x10s in the back dash running of the rear high out put of the head unit heres a few pics of my car pics are small taken on my phone when i get my phone back i will post some pics of my stereo :D :D

Attachments

• P0722_163036.jpg
    P0722_163036.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 213
  • P0722_163003.jpg
    P0722_163003.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 227
  • P0722_162933.jpg
    P0722_162933.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 248

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
you put your nose where???

bit hard to follow mate but from what i can gether you had some carbon build up. this can cause the car to run rough.
the stuff you added to the petrol is usually designed to be added to an entire tank of fuel, so as it burns through with the fuel gradually shifting carbon and grease deposits off valves etc where it would have built up over the 300000 odd k's its done.
when you added the whole bottle you did 2 things, wasted most of a bottle of additive, and shifted a whole lot of the crap in one big go, because it didnt move gradually it has built up on your spark plugs, possibly also on your exhaust valves and most likely in the cat-convertor.
(your lucky actually because additives can wreck an engine if not used properly)

the best thing you can do now is to pull the plugs out, clean them or replace them and run some clean fuel through for about half a tank (premium is a good chioce as it is cleaner burning so you won't add any new carbon deposits) then check the plugs again and clean or replace, then start all over again with a full tank of fuel to the right ratio of additive.
hopefully this will gradually shift the junk out of the engine without the mass buildup on your plugs again. it may still build up so until its all gone keep your eye on the plugs.

spitting heaps of this black deposit stuff can also effect your cat-convertor so keep that in mind if you dont get much improvement.

it would also pay to keep in mind that it may be doing this because of the number of k's (though if treated right the rb should be good for 600000) adn resign to the fact you might want to give the engine a cleanup before you carry on too much about the bodykit and stereo.

Last edited:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Sounds like your running insanely rich and thats the cause of everything.

As bad as it sounds, revving the **** out of your engine actually does it wonders when your talking about blasting away some of that build up.

I'd get some new plugs and leads, new coil and change your o2 sensor.

Your looking at about, 100 dollars there. Even advance your timing a little, it should be on 15, take it up to 17 or so. Just to see if that makes any difference.

But seriously, to me it sounds like your getting too much fuel and not enough spark, instead of compensating and trying to take away fuel, I'd be using it. Get that spark going hard, advance the timing a bit. You'll loose your flat spot, the engine will run healthier.

muffman001

Reaction score
Website
nfateam.informe.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina soon to be turbo'd
Thanx

thanx for your posts i will try new plugs, leads and will mix the fuel injector mix propaly but there is a huge slurping noise (not nose) :hit: :rofl: comeing out the tank even when driveing i looked under the car and found the petrol lines one has a dent in it a small round dent do you think this could contrubite to the rough running ? :(

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Nah I don't think it'd worry it, the slurping noise would just be the fuel pump and its fairly common to make noises. Even moreso if there is added pressure onto the line. If you really wanted you could possibly scrape the line and replace it, but I wouldn't bother.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
wouldnt worry about the dents in teh line. the engine doesnt use all the fuel that is pumped through anyway hence the reason it returns to the tank (the noise you hear)

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
fuel pressure regulator- that did all that stuff to mine and more- changed it and ran fine again