Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl runnin not so good

Chris Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
Hey all,

My vl which is all stock standered apart from a pod filter seems to be running a lil rough.

My car wasn't working for around 3 weeks as i needed to replace starter motor but now have replaced it and seems a bit rough on start up and sometime when taking off from lights seems to almost stall. also sometimes when i'm acclerating up to speed it seems to be jearky just feels like small bunny hops.

The first drive i took it on it ran fine and it was around about a 2hour drive. but took it out last night and about a hour in it started runnin poorly. any help would be great :thumbsup:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Ok check for air leaks b/w AFM and throttle body large hose clamps make sure no air is getting in also vacuum hoses. AFM's play a major role in VL's running crap(Even try another AFM and c if i makes a diff.
As well as crank angle sensor's. Another could be Dizzy Cup/ Rotor Arm Give light sand 2 - 3 strokes(Check for pitting etc on internal pins and clean off white residue) Leads and Plugs.(check for cracks and white lines on outter insulation on leads and rubber couplers to plugs(White lines in funny patterns means the leads are sparking to the block and loosing power Replace if necessary.
C how u go and let us know (Check Image)

Attachments

• Engine1 arrows.jpg
    Engine1 arrows.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 1,490

Chris Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
I inspected all the hoses and there are no leaks. i cleaned the AFM connections and made sure they are making good contact. I checked in dizzy cap and there was no white crap anywhere. As for plugs n leads could maybe need new sparkys but leads r new and mechanic put em on around 6 months ago. How do i check CAS? Also i tried undoin my speak plugs but they tight as ****. though i didn't put to much presure on em when i was tryin to turn em incase they broke n got stuck in there

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
use a longer rachet handle for leverage to get the plugs undone, you could also spray alittle crc on them and leave it to soak for a while. when you replace them you only have to tighten them firmly, not really tight. after a while of the heat they tend to expand and naturally become tighter like what the oil cap does.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Get those plugs out bud and give them a good wire brush'n check the quality of them as in the electrode should be nice and square edges not rounded or discolored. as for the AFM not so much the plug contacts the AFM itself, they r very tempremental for RB30s Running nicely trust me... im on my 4th one the ba*tar#s Good luck keep us posted Chrissa Check this for plug diagnostics http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm

Chris Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
Awesome i'll try givin them a go after work tomoro.

Thanks for the info about the spark plugs

Chris Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
hey just tried gettin sparkys out and still havin some problems wit them. i usin socket wit extention and still not movin. i don't wana apply to much pressure to em incase they snap or something. i no it might not do much but would somethin like wd-40 make them any easyer to undo wit out ****ing somethin up. thenks

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
you can spray some Wd40 down on them and let it soak. Does the socket your using have a rubber grommet inside it to help not shatter the porcelin. u may have to use more force and replace all your plugs anyways. At only $3 a plug why not just put new ones in. try not to drop any porceline into the cylinder, then you will be in trouble.

Chris Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
no the socket i'm using doesn't have any rubber in it at all. n i am goin to replace them if i can get them out

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
if u have a universal joint it makes it heaps easier to get the leverage on them.
They should not be too tight.
When u replace put them until tight then go say one grunt more...
Catch my drift...
Dont overtighten. its just the heat expanding then shrinking on cooling makes them tighter
Goodluck