Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL turbo vs VR/VR V6

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
A friend of mine has a standard VL turbo, I smashed it with my VR, the reason is because it's thrashed.

If you can find a clean one, yes they are quick but not too fast, need to mod it to unleash its true power.

Thats true, a few mods make alot of difference.

wagonb0y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5speed turbo
my brother has a VS ute, and my white one(wich is now sitting in shed :ranting: ) used to flog it, all was a 5 speed,intercooler, running around 10.
wen't great, but now just brought another vl with a rb25 and it go's even better, that might be an option to, buy a vl and do a transpplant, but then you have to get enginered.
and a few of my mates have n/a's and they go bloody good in my opion, if i didnt get hooked on turbo vl's i would have one in a flash

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
my brother has a VS ute, and my white one(wich is now sitting in shed :ranting: ) used to flog it, all was a 5 speed,intercooler, running around 10.
wen't great, but now just brought another vl with a rb25 and it go's even better, that might be an option to, buy a vl and do a transpplant, but then you have to get enginered.
and a few of my mates have n/a's and they go bloody good in my opion, if i didnt get hooked on turbo vl's i would have one in a flash

pretty sure u can swap any engine as long as that model came out with that engine. Eg, n/a 6 to a 308 or whatever. Just gotta let RTA and insurance ppl know to make it legit. Im not 100% but i thought it was like that, pretty sure it is in NSW anyway

prince_dj666

hypo v6
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2112842/1
i will sell mine if a decent offer came by

Holden commodore vl turbo
t3/4 turbo
Front mount intercooler
Oil catch can
Turbosmart boost controller
Turbo timer
Boost gauge
Autogauge 5’ tacho with shift light
5speed manual
Lsd
3’ exhaust
Heavy duty clutch
Fire extinguisher
Cd player with 6” and 6 x 9’s
Kenwood amp
a/c
p/s
18’ mags
4 wheel disc brakes
Wood sports steering wheel
Leather n chrome gear knob

pm if interested

Last edited:

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
you can turbo the na motor for about 1 grand but the manual transmission will blow as soon as you hit boost unl;ess you got the mx7 box (onw that came out with the turbo) auto will hold up with cooler and service.

ebay will turbo your na for around 1 grand. you dont need a decompression plate either unless you wanna run, say more than 14psi (dont quote me on that one tho) dont buy turbo injectors as they are only a tiny bit better, buy somethign like a set of efi 8 injectors and keep 2 as spares. run 2 standard fuel pumps. check out calaisturbo for their sale section you will pick up a second hand intercooler for around $100 or ebay for $150 new, piping... well im sure you can find someone to weld it up so you just gotta buy the bends from a zorst show and tack them all together. you dont need the turbo intake manifold, but use an xf throttle body.

i could go on all night but cant be ****ed

its piss cheap to get power out of a vl, but the stock na manual lets it down, and you dont pick up an MX7 box too cheap either.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
If you run different injectors, you will need a chipped or aftermarlet ECU

wagonb0y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5speed turbo
So what about a rb25? do i have to get that enginered if that in my car?
rb26dett where did you go for enginering?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
My car is a factory VLT, It still runs a RB30ET.

I have not had it engineered.

wagonb0y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5speed turbo
ohk thought u had a 26,
what they check for anways when the do enginer them, m mechanic had a huge check over and said it has been done excellent, i have disck brakes ect, intercooler but i want it done so i carnt get defected for intercooler and have the rb25 on my rego slip