Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl vk etc door hinge pins

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
hi all,
i've got my self some vl doors with slide locks and central locking already put in to put on my vk in place of the current slightly dented pin type lock doors.

im having a bit of trouble removing the hinge pins though.

does anyone have a trick to getting them out? is there a special tool? do they have to come out in a particular way?

if your unsure of what im trying to remove...maybe this will help. just to be clear
DSCN2437.jpg

thanks for any help you can provide.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
There's a special tool to do it. It's a pin with a head on it, and on the opposite end is a nut which screws on. You put the pin through the hole (the head won't fit through), then put the nut on the opposite end. Then there's a handle which fits around the pin and u hit it with a hammer to pull the pin out.

Sometimes they can be veeeery hard to remove. Make sure u spray a shitload of wd40 and other sorts of lubrication on it all to help out.

Attached is a diagram.

Attachments

• doorpinremover.jpg
    doorpinremover.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 610

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
There's a special tool to do it. It's a pin with a head on it, and on the opposite end is a nut which screws on. You put the pin through the hole (the head won't fit through), then put the nut on the opposite end. Then there's a handle which fits around the pin and u hit it with a hammer to pull the pin out.

Sometimes they can be veeeery hard to remove. Make sure u spray a shitload of wd40 and other sorts of lubrication on it all to help out.

Attached is a diagram.

where can i find this tool? and do you have a picture of a real one? im pretty sure i get the idea of how it works. but cant hurt to double check

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
click me

bought one of these off this guy and did all 4 doors in under an hour

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
where can i find this tool? and do you have a picture of a real one? im pretty sure i get the idea of how it works. but cant hurt to double check

supercheap or autobarn if not ebay... its a pain in the ass to do though, trust me :thumbsup:

for a tip if u have trouble getting the pin to start poping out, use a drill bit or something that will fit in the hindge hole and hammer away...

have someone hold the door 4 u.

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
have someone hold the door 4 u.

hahahahahaha. will do :thumbsup:

thanks DANNY8, Kane88 and Goon. i think ill get that tool off ebay and give it a go. wish me luck :p

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
just a tip, knock the pins out while the doors are closed. you'll need to take off the front guards to do the front doors but it's worth it to save yourself the extra buggering around trying to support the door...

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
No probs mate.

Just be very careful coz when I used one on my car when I was doing a bit of work on it at a crash shop, I broke it! The end broke off. Welded it back on but yeah they aren't very strong.

After that incident I bought myself one from Repco, and that broke too. I rekon I might buy one of the ones in that link above as well, need one again soon lol.

Oh and if ya don't hold it square u will bend the pins. And a small hammer that ya hit nails with just won't be up to the job. A small 4 pounder would prolly be the go. And like I said b4, make sure u spray lots of lubricant on the hinges. Even if u go spray them 2morrow, then again in a few days, and again the day b4 ya do them....so when ur door pin remover rocks up and ur ready to pop the pins out, hopefully they'll come out nice and easy! :thumbsup:

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
just a tip, knock the pins out while the doors are closed. you'll need to take off the front guards to do the front doors but it's worth it to save yourself the extra buggering around trying to support the door...

i think one of the quarters needs to come off anyway, so no worries thanks.

No probs mate.

Just be very careful coz when I used one on my car when I was doing a bit of work on it at a crash shop, I broke it! The end broke off. Welded it back on but yeah they aren't very strong.

After that incident I bought myself one from Repco, and that broke too. I rekon I might buy one of the ones in that link above as well, need one again soon lol.

Oh and if ya don't hold it square u will bend the pins. And a small hammer that ya hit nails with just won't be up to the job. A small 4 pounder would prolly be the go. And like I said b4, make sure u spray lots of lubricant on the hinges. Even if u go spray them 2morrow, then again in a few days, and again the day b4 ya do them....so when ur door pin remover rocks up and ur ready to pop the pins out, hopefully they'll come out nice and easy! :thumbsup:

hahahahahahhaha....right, ill buy more wd40 too :p

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
good luck with it mate