Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL wagon LS1 Swap

dj_gardner007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1 Manual, VL LS1 Manual Wagon
Hey all,

I'm about to embark on the journey of swapping an LS1 + T56 into my VL wagon, just got a few questions I cant find answers for.

1. Tailshaft. I've heard people that swap the Holden 5L into the VL use the front section of the tailshaft of the donor car and mate it to the rear section of the VL shaft. Would this be the same/doable, ie. VX T56 front section to my VL rear section? Or would I need something custom made?

2. K-Frame. Would I need to source a VL V8 K-Frame for the conversion or can I stick with the VL 6 K-Frame?

3. Brakes. First off I need to upgrade the fronts to the HSV VT/VX kit and I'm told it bolts straight on. Will I need to upgrade the booster and master cylinder as well?

I'm sure as I progress further there will be more questions, but for now thats it.

Cheers,
Dave

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
1. I'm pretty sure that's the way to go, although I'm not 100% about the CV's being the same.

2. VL V6 and V8 K frames are the same.

3. No, the VT/VX brakes do not bolt straight on, different rotors and hubs. I would use a VE spec brake kit, available in either 298mm or 322mm rotors. Comes with VE calipers, pads, lines, rotors, mounting hardware and fluid. The VE calipers have a smaller piston so they displace less fluid, no need to change anything else. I do these kits for $825.

dj_gardner007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the quick reply.

I'm told the VT brakes come in a kit with rotors/calipers/adapter hubs etc to bolt in, but by the sounds of it, the VE kit might be the way to go.

Still only at the planning stage, I want to try and nut-out as much as I can so there isnt many surprises further in.

Cheers,
Dave

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VT kit was available as a kit until it was superceded by the VE kit. The RDA kit anyway, there may still be places that do the VT kits, but you do need to replace the master cylinder at least to get a good pedal.

dj_gardner007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh cool. With the brake kit, whats the smallest rim size you can go with? Currently its got 17" rims.

Also, how hard is to identify VL diffs? Its a wagon and its got rear disc brakes.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
16" minimum for the 298mm and 17" for the 322mm.

How do you want to identify it? If it's in a VL, then it's most likely a VL diff. I think the V8's and factory turbo's got the rear discs.

dj_gardner007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Was wondering if there was some marking on the diff housing that said if was LSD or not.
From memory the Turbo diffs are LSD, but this one doesn't behave as such, unless its worn out and needs a reco.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Turbo diffs are LSD & were disc brake fitted, but people do crazy things to VL rears so it's possible someone just did a disc conversion without swapping the whole diff to an LSD, the rule of thumb is na's were drum, turbo was disc afaik.