Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl won't start

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
The starter motor on my VL also intermittently won't budge. It will fire up with a flick of the key if I jump start it. It wouldn't start today for the wife. She called AA road assist. THe guy tapped the starter motor with a hammer and away it went. He suggested that I have the starter motor looked at.

My parent's nissan pulsar had the same problem and it got so bad it had to be tapped everytime we wanted to start it.eventually it **** itself completely so we just replaced it with a 2nd hand one. but the problem is that the solenoid in it can sometimes 'stick'.tapping it helps knock it loose but once it does start to stick you can assume that its on its way out and only gonna get worse the longer you leave it.

If your mechanically (and electrically) minded you could pull it apart and clean it up a bit this should help. Or get an auto sparky to take a look at it

MB_Boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais
The starter motor on my VL also intermittently won't budge. It will fire up with a flick of the key if I jump start it. It wouldn't start today for the wife. She called AA road assist. THe guy tapped the starter motor with a hammer and away it went. He suggested that I have the starter motor looked at.

Definately get your starter motor replaced! I thought mine was on the way out, sometimes would start no problems, sometimes would hesitate...then i parked my car at a shopping centre and it shat itself. Paid $225 for a recon and went n changed it myself in the middle of the carpark :p all good now!

87redcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3 litre
Replaced the bendix unit, brushes and planetary gear unit. All sweet now.

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
a fully charged battery read 13.7 if its says 12 its flat lol.

ladiesman212

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 vl commodore
hey guys just converted my vl commodore to a manual

hey guys just converted my vl commodore to a manual also took whole motor and motor wiring loom out of another vl that i brought last week, i put the motor,box,manual computer and wiring loom into my old vl which was an auto , hooked it all up and everything seemed to be working. went to turn the key and nothing happened..... the starter wouldn't even make a noise , hooked a wire up going from the ignition to the starter motor and it now winds over but wont start. my dad also said it doesn't have any injector pulse which we are both stunned about. any ideas would be greatly appreciated ,thanks Jason.
p.s the motor was running perfectly until i swapped them over :S

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
doesnt the car have to be turning over to check injector pulse?

could it be something to do with the neutral safety switch from when you go auto to manual?

ladiesman212

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 vl commodore
yer we got it turning over but it still wont start and maybe it might have to do with the neutral safety switch but it should need it if ive got the manual computer should it?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
im not completely sure if you have to do something to trick it?

ladiesman212

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 vl commodore
yer possibly thanks for the help ill check it now (Y)

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Neutral start switch is a relay down near battery there are 3 relays now i think it is the front one (dont hold me to it) u bypass this for the convert to manual i remember reading somewhere.

when it is turning over are u getting spark If not try changing the CAS could be something simple like this..
if u got spark and its not getting fuel well check the relay near the battery and down the wiring loom there is a diode,,, now my car would not start and this took me a while to find.. this diode was corroded out... so i unhooked it and it works fine( i have no diode in there now) has been like this for about a year, if i connect the wires it shuts off my injectors and motor dies and wont start. pull em apart and boom away she goes again...
can u hear your fuel pumps running/priming when u turn your accessories on b4 start,
process of elimination and we can help you,,,
goodluck,,