Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN 3.8 Turbo Wagon

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
Hey all, thought i'd show you some pics of my everyday driver... bought her a few years back as a bog stocker, with yucky 14" rims, tiny brakes and 4x4 ride height. Still, she came with cruise, power windows, factory LSD and was a one owner car, for $2500- a bargain!

Mods since purchase are:

Lowered all round, new springs and shocks and rear swaybar, strut brace.
VT 297mm Front brakes, with matching VT booster.
Turbo kit- T3/4 hybrid, intercooler, external 38mm wastegate, boost controller, rising rate adjsutable fuel reg... etc etc. Stock injectors and tune for the timing being, running higher base fuel pressure.

Still rolling with the factory TH700 which is not liking the turbo- the torque its making is unreal, but the auto is slipping and slurring badly, so thats the next thing (after a proper tune). Hope you like :D

VNWagz004-2.jpg

Original breathing mods...
VNWagz009.jpg

VT Stoppers
VNWagz003.jpg

Turbo kit going on:
turbokit069.jpg

Once on
DSCF0703.jpg

DSCF0702.jpg

DSCF0785.jpg

DSCF0790.jpg

Stealth :D
DSCF0791.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Mate that's very cool! I'm so happy that there are more and more boosted VN's around :)

Love the black cooler too! - fantastic!

now go get some bigger injectors and a proper tune and report back!

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
looks good. people wouldnt suspect it had a turbo under the bonnet.

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
ahh, cheers for the comments. Yeah, i built it up to be a sleeper, its pwns cars right now without trying, but sounds like a stock VN V6 when off boost. On boost its not loud either, it just moves hardcore!

Will be looking at 10psi once she's tuned, and north of 200rwkW, then we'll be looking at built internals and GNX alloy heads from the US, and a swap to a GT35/40R, and 13-15psi, for 240+rwkW ... :D

this turbo kit owes me 4K on the car as now, but still needs a BOV, 36 or 42lb injectors and a Kalmaker tune. I've got a larger fuel pump (Walbro GSS341) and 2 Bar Map Sensor ready to go, but havent installed yet.. the kit was bougth off an eBay seller from some performance shop in Queensland (which has since gone bust?) and they only made 3 kits- their development one, mine and one which is on a VP ("vspt" on the Street Comms forum).

Seeing how the manifolds and pipes in this kit is hugely better than a lot of others out there, im expecting this setup to be good for some awesome power once the big turbo goes on...

The only thing i dont like about my kit (and most out there) is the loss of the Air Con, im so feeling it right now... *stinking hot*

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
Forgot to mention, im going to try my hand at developing a lowmount twin turbo (or single) kit for the buick V6s later this year, similar to how the APS TT kit is setup for the 5.7L Gen 3s... lowmount black piping that hides from prying eyes, a water to air cooler hidden under the airbox location, feeding up internally through the stock air intake.

Going to try making it look like a stock VN-VR engine but twin turbo and W2A cooled, and get it working for under 3k. With no extractors, crossover pipe etc, shouldn't be too hard, and the turbos will be located in a good spot to have them plumbed up to an exhaust (will also keep excess heat out, and can retain factory thermo and shroud).

Going to try getting them really close to the sides of the gearbox, so that we can bolt them onto the box itself by way of some bracketry... a set of small GT28s should be good for fast spoolage and solid top end- they will eb the most expensive tho, as i have to buy ball bearing ones so that the oil flow can be unrestricted, as the oil retunrs will need to flow back uphill a bit to return to the sump...)

Want it to be so good that a random roadside inspection turns up NOTHING when the bonnet is popped... only way to find it is on a hoist :D

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
Nice wagon mate, its the last thing people expect is a v6 wagon to have a turbo straped to it, i know i get a few weird looks. Well done and good luck with the kit, check out my wagon i made all the manifolds and pipeing for it.
Matt

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
thats awesome, nice sleeper

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
yeah, im not quite sure about how much a stock 304 can take, but i do know my brother's supercharged 304 (Yella Terra PD blower kit) runs 8psi happily... i think with it, the only limitation is the head clamping, they arent all that flash in stock form.