Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn 90 model Overheating or not

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
I know theres alot of topics on this matter but i need real answers from a holden tech or similar out there please....

Ive got a vn 90 model thats been looked after from day one since rolled out factory and recently to improve fuel economy as i had replaced everything and had injectors properly serviced etc I was told to get my coolant temp sensor replaced as it was the orignal one & couldnt hurt to replace.Now ive noticed the temp will get around half way which it never really has done before and the thermo fan kicks in, It's summer now and there is plenty hot days then is this normal especially when stop start driving ??

My thermostat is ok had replaced in last year or so and top hose is bloody hot when you touch it,The one thing I was thinking of doing is replacing the coolant as it's been diluted a bit from after i topped it up with just distiled water from cracked hose recently so the boiling level would be higher now i would presume.I was thinking of replacing bottom radiator hose casue it looks old and flushing the engine and radiator with the garden hose.

The water pump was replaced in less than a year and isnt making any noises.

With me having the coolant temp sensor replaced could my mechanic have put in a higher degree sesnor? is this ok ? could have original sensor been stuffed and causing bad fuel economy as now car doesnt have petrol smell and economy is better.

Is it ok for the car to run half way every now and then aslong as the thermo fan kicks in? in winter seems not to got that high.

Sorry for all the questions but Im worried , the cars treated like a baby & i look after it oil changes etc, its just coming up to 190,000 km's.

Thank you in advance for your help ...

Last edited:

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
mate i would be stoked if my car ran at half way during this very hot summer. my car usually will sit at about 3/4 before the thermo kicks in and still runs fine, alot of other peoples cars will stay at about half way aswell, so it should be all good, it wont hurt either to put in a cooler thermostat or just take it out during the summer

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
half way's about avg if it goes higher get worried then.

nopatcla

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
NEVER remove a thermostat from a motor which has electronic engine management and fuel injection, the motor is designed to run within a specific temp range. Rather find and correct the problem, the problem in this case sounds like the thermostat.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
My car does exactly the same. It does feel really hot under the bonnet but never overheats now i've sorted the water leaks, and the temp gauge gets to about half way before the fan cuts in.

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
flush your radiator.. do a search this has been covered many times