Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Berlina

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5.0L Berlina S2 Slushbox
Hey guys, this is my first post as I'm new to the world of Commodores.

I've set my self a project to see if I could pull off a Group A replica for as little money as possible (through pulling strings, favours and good old fashioned hard yakka) and I've got myself a 1990 Berlina in perfect nick for a total of $500 - $600 (I have to go pick it up on the weekend.)

Basically, it's straight-as (besides an ever so small dint on the front left hand panel smaller than a fist) and the roof lining is falling down.

The problem is the engine is currently in pieces (it's the 5.0 L) and that's where the fun comes in. The previous owner blew the engine compression locking with his auto gearbox...

Having said that it also has a stereo, 16" csa mags (local 'youths' stole one though so it has three of them.)

What do you reckon - $500/$600 (that's including the transport to get it up here (i.e. me putting diesel in my mate's hilux)) is that a good/average deal for a nice straight body with everything included or should I keep looking?

I thought it was a pretty good start to my project but just thought I'd double check with some pros. :thumbsup:

P.S. Is the 1990 Series I or Series II and what was the difference? I can't find that info anywhere - even a link would help. Thanks.

F

foammedia

BARGIN!, the heads are almost worth the price of the whole car :) I doubt you will ever find another 5 liter Commodore for that price so yeah. Good deal, motor should be fixable :)

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
stocky said:
what options has the berlina got? electrics?

I believe it has everything that you could get with a Berlina.

While I'm at it, can anyone tell me the difference between a Series I and II? Pretty please?

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
foammedia said:
BARGIN!, the heads are almost worth the price of the whole car :) I doubt you will ever find another 5 liter Commodore for that price so yeah. Good deal, motor should be fixable :)

Thanks mate, that bit of advice just sealed the deal as I was in a bit of indecision.

What is compression locking likely to blow in the motor? Bascially the previous owner was dropping it back into second or whatever on the auto when he was cruising along at like 80km/h or whatever to get that 'pwhoosh' sound...

Here's hoping it's something small.

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
compression locking could cause anything really, maybe a piston blow out, blah blah blah, best bet is to take it apart and stuff around with it, i drop my auto into 2nd doin bout that speed to slow down and it doesnt do any harm, so it might be caused by something else, but yeh just check it out is the best bet.

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, come Monday I'll have my chance to really dig in and play. Till then I'll be left speculating! It can be a real bitch, the unknown.

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got my VN yesterday, 17 hour trip to get it but it was worth it.

So for approximately $600 - $700 (including fuel, etc. to get there and back) I got myself a VN 5.0L with a set of 16" mags.

Engine is not running (was in pieces) and so far the main problem I've found is two busted gasket ring sets which were blowing oil through two of the cylinders.

Oh, and it came with pacemaker extractors and a custom zorst.

Good deal or what? I'm a happy chappy. Even has metallic Navy Blue paint.

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still getting my hands on a digital still camera (got so many video cameras but not even one still!)

In the meantime I've taken the block out.

Got some more questions for the experts:

Turns out the distributor was missing - I jumped on Ebay and found this one seems pretty cheap to me/really good deal. Am I missing something? It's not dodgy brothers style merchandise is it? A distributor is a distributor right, there's no like 'super high performance shiny happy version' or anything? :)

So I have the block out and am about to get her to go again, as a good girl should, and I was wondering opinions on anything I should do performance wise, block-up, while it's sitting on the bench. Camshaft, stroke it, etc.? Opinions, from cheap -> expensive!

Thanks guys. Will endeavour to post piccies soon.