Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Calais, electrical problem I can't figure out!

Kenty_onmangv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo v6 vn Calais, ls1 vx calais
Hey all, wondering if anyone can help me out! Might be abit hard to understand but I'll try explain as best I can haha! My high beams do not work and when all lights are turned off at the switch, dash lights are on but soon as you switch to parkers and low beam, the dash lights turn completely off. . Thinking maybe an earthing issue of such? I have swapped relays around with the horn for high beam, nothing! Put new globes in, nothing! Thought it may have been from a corroded rear tail light, but changed it and still no change! It's got me stumped, so if anyone could help me out or might know what could be causing these problems, that would be appreciated! Cheers

holster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 V8
Do you have another headlight switch?
Try swapping it out if you do. I had an issue when I had no dash lights when headlights turned on.
Changed the switch and it was fixed.
Not exactly like your prob but might help.

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Maybe the instrument illumination dimmer is crook? Above the wiper switch - High beams, well check fuses, check H4 globes, check relays. Be careful switching relays, some are on/off, some are change over, some (mostly euro) have the pins in different spots e.g. 30 is 87 on some.

Kenty_onmangv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can get another head light switch tho, worth a try! Are they hard to install new switches on the side of the dash?

Kenty_onmangv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh yep, no probs! I checked the dinmer, didn't seem to work either! Could put a new switch in that too see if it works,'fuse was fine for that!

Thanks for that, I shall give that a try on the headlights tomorrow, hopefully that sorts it!

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive got some spare calais headlight stalks banging around. if you get stuck shoot me your address ill post one out for you pro bono...

Kenty_onmangv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found the problem to the headlights. . Turns out to be a dodgey relay! Got a new one and they work now! Still can't figure out with the dash tho, dimmer button doesn't work at all lol! Could it be a dodgey switch for that?

Thanks for the offer hi_ryder you legend, but I think it's all good now! Cheers anyway!