Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Commodore

stheggie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A Friend of mine is currently looking buying at a 1989 VN Commodore Exec, its off a friend of his. I went today and had a look at it with him and it needs a bit of work done to it, he's only paying $800 for it so i told him not to be too picky. Its done 227,000 k's but i dont know if its original because it has a VS cluster installed in it. The one thing that im not sure about is the fact that it looks like its "atlas grey" or to be more specific a grey colour that sort of looks blue. It also has front power windows but no electric aerial or anything like that. Did holden ever issue a option pack that contained these features?

It has that rattle sound when idling (which i have heard plenty of VN's make), which im pretty sure is just the timing chain. Any one have any idea's how much one of these costs to replace? :confused:

Also the front drivers side door electric window falls out of its tracks, is this easy to fix?

The VIN number says 6H8VNKand plenty more numbers of course, which i know means it is just and exec, should there by any other numbers to indicate if it has a different option pack?

Any idea's would be appreciated,

Thanks.

M

MavVP

Not sure about the optional pack for the electric antenna, sounds like the previous owner had then put in after, seems strange for the fronts to be electric and not the backs from the factory.

The timing chain will set you back about 60 bucks (approx) just for the part.
The window problem "can" be easy to fix but the interior door trim needs to come off so you can have a decent look at it and see what the prob is.

If your mates buying the car to keep then i would probably keep looking, but if he just wants it to drive till it dies then go for it, just my opinion.
The Vn are notorious for problems thou, so just be carefull

Get a gregory's for something similar for it if you can, it'll help

stheggie

Reaction score
I think he intends to do it up, I know the VN's are notorious for problems. My dad bought one ( calais ) when they first came out and after about 5 years it had plenty of problems. I have told him to be careful, however the reason the car is for sale is because the owner lost his licence for drink driving, he bought the car about 3 or 4 months ago for $3000.... the owner was only 18 and his dad wants to just get rid of the car. So thats the reason it was only $800.00.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
If they are the only problems and its 800 bucks then I would consider it.

There was a factory option for front power window packs, so if it looks professionally installed then good chance its original.

Timing chain isn't a big problem, but takes a fair whack of time to replace it. Places will charge upwards of 350-400 for the job. Most of the time its best just leaving it till the engine has to be rebuilt/replaced.

The window that falls out of its track will need new parts, as MavVP said, but again its not a very big job.

K's wise, a new cluster can hide the old milage unless your a bit smarter and check things such as seat condition, brake and accelerator pedal condition, and the door trim middle console where your arms rest. if they look old and worn, you can bet this car has done more than stated.

Good luck and remember with 800 bucks you can't be too picky!

Cheers
Paul

stheggie

Reaction score
Thats exactly what i told him, for $800 what can ya expect?
Im pretty sure it has done more K's that stated, but i dont really think that it has done a great deal more. It seems to be in pretty good condition.

Anyway guys thanks for all of your help, it has been very much appreciated!

Scott,