Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Door lock problems/central locking

VN-Corey

Corey VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore
Hi all I have a 1991 Toyota Lexcen VN (originally a VN commdoore VN series 2).
I have had it the past 6 months and since I have bought it, the car works great!! I do have an issue with the central locking though when I put the key into the drivers side (cant put it in the passenger side as when u turn it to the left or right it doesnt work maybe another issue there?) and flick it to open all my doors unlock but my rear left door. I have spent 2 hours today pulling off my trim on that door as the past week it has nailed it self down normally I would of had to lock it or unlock it manually but it has actually locked itself down so I pulled my trim off took the stricker off and the other compontenet it goes into the escutcheon. Was fidling around with it trying to figure out why it doesnt wana lock or unlock via the central locking i was locking at the door lock and striker perhaps there was a problem there? then i flicked the door lock and it locked itself i then closed my door and went to re-open it and now it is permantly shut it will not open!! even from the inside or outside any suggestions to either problems?

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Try replacing the locking mechanism; it may be faulty. The right rear door on my VP does the same thing occassionally. Now it unlocks but won't lock with the key; I have to lock it manually. :bang:

VN-Corey

Corey VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore
oh cheers yeah thats the same problem with mine but its my rear left and i have to manually lock or unlock it but the past week it has locked itself shut hence why i pulled it apart but now the door is jammed shut and you cant open it but thanks anyway when I eventually do get my door open ill have a look at that.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'd check the wires to the for contact. If you still have the door trim off. Try getting direct power to the door lock actuator to see if the thing will trigger.

The other reason will be that you may have bumped the child saftey lock so the door cat be opened once locked from the rear - need to unlock from the main switches - the small round button.

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
put the key in the door and turn it firmly to the right while lifting the handle at the same time, takes practice but u will get it. my door is the same, no one i know is able to get into my car except me, cause nobody knows the trick ahaha some would say ur car is unstealable

VN-Corey

Corey VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore
ahahahah thanks fellas yeah this weekend i think i might go to a wrecker and buy a new locking mechanism and if that doesnt work then i know that its the wiring