Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] VN Engine Modifications

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
Hi all at Just Commodores! :)

I have a VN Buick V6 that has just clicked over to 300,000km (prev owner stated that it was rebuilt at 200,000 but couldn't provide a receipt so I don't exactly believe him) and so now I have a decision to make; leave the beloved VN in it's current condition and pack her away in the shed and buy a V8 (I'm getting my full license within the next few months, so now I have the ability to drive that beautiful 5.7L like I've always wanted) however I only have around $13,000 - $14,000 to spend on a new car before I'm going over budget. I am stuck between scrapping the 6 and dropping in a rebuilt V8 or working the 6 and saving a couple of grand.

Now, I understand regardless of how much I stress that I don't want pointless responses such as 'get rid of the pig and get a VL' ect ect I know I am going to, but if anyone could provide me with any decent information on engine swaps and the like for this model vehicle I will be very grateful. I love my VN and I love the look, personal taste, but as I said I am seriously stuck on what I want to do in terms of just buying a V8, dropping a V8 in or working the 6. I am not after ridiculous amounts of power (I guess I would be aiming for around 250 - 300 torque on the 6) but spending this amount of money on a car I would be expecting it to last me for another 6 - 10 years at least. I have a pretty strong idea of mechanics and how everything works but I would really like some info from some experts. I have done some research on the performance modifications I can obtain for the current motor and this is what I have come up with in terms of what I would do if I was to keep the 6cyl:
4.2L stroker kit (from C.O.M.E Racing)
Forged pistons and performance crank
Bigger camshaft
Ported and Polished heads
Re-worked fuel system & intercooler for a Turbo setup (aiming to hopefully hit atleast 10 - 12PSI)
Higher ratio valves and rockers
Pushrods from turbo'ed Eco-Tech (I hear they give less friction from what I can source)

Now you can probably tell obviously I am no expert in modifying cars & I know down the track there is going to have to be more modicifcations to the motor to be able to handle all of these modifications if able to at all, which is also why I am considering sourcing a 5.0L motor out of an SS and possibly throwing a hair dryer on that, although I'm not certain it can be done I would prefer to put a 5.7L under the bonnet as I have a friend who owns a monaro with a 6.4L stroker (and very minimal other modifications) and he is producing 670 torque at the wheels on the dyno. I understand that you can get more bang for your buck with a SC on the 6cyl however I do not want to go this option as I want the lag of the turbo and the feeling of the turbo spooling up.

If anyone can provide me with what would be the best options for me at this point I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
With the budget you have I think you'd be mad not to go and buy a low km VXII or VY with an LS. You'd have money left over for exhaust, intake and tune. End result, a nice newish car with a tonne of power.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
and LS engines can up the power for much cheaper than spending the same amount of money on a 6. its the truth, the harsh truth. Id looove to twin turbo my vn 6, but i know for the same money i could get way better results by dropping an LS in there, or buying a car with a newer engine in it allready. (fyi you can put an LS in a vn, there are even kits. Expect to pay around 10G) (orrr just buy a car with the LS in it allready. and airbags. haha)

But if youre hell bent on the 6, youve got the right idea with what youve writted in the OP.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Dunno about that, there's a GT42 kit on ebay for $3k that'd run 12's on L27 or Emo, and Delco could show you plenty of others that make 6's scream. Blow some engines a couple of tranny's, the odd diff and you're still well ahead.

That said $14k is a great base for a new beginning and as you put it; airbags. If I'd had $14k in early 2013 I'd have moved to an LS no question.

All of this also assumes you do your own work and only pay for a tune. Personally I think the biggest mistake people make with 6's is opening the engine. It costs you a tonne for SFA. Just air rape it and swap it out when it blows.

Last edited:

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Dunno about that, there's a GT42 kit on ebay for $3k that'd run 12's on L27 or Emo, and Delco could show you plenty of others that make 6's scream. Blow some engines a couple of tranny's, the odd diff and you're still well ahead.

That said $14k is a great base for a new beginning and as you put it; airbags. If I'd had $14k in early 2013 I'd have moved to an LS no question.

All of this also assumes you do your own work and only pay for a tune. Personally I think the biggest mistake people make with 6's is opening the engine. It costs you a tonne for SFA. Just air rape it and swap it out when it blows.

Yep what he said lol

Have a look at what delcowizzid's been doing with stock-ish turbo buicks.
Turbo in these days can be done on the cheap and you can get heaps of advice on here if that's what you decide

Jack_vs_BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs BT1
Saw a vy sv8 6 speed' mafless tune, cam, headwork etc go for $7500 can't Ls powered cars are getting crazy cheap these days, for 14k you could build a turbo 3.8 pushing some serious power but for the time and effort i 'd be looking at a a car already running an ls1 , but a turbo ls1 in a vn could nearly be done for 14k

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
Another factor I should have probably mentioned in the OP (Besides the fact the girlfriend wanted me off the computer so I was in a hurry, excuse the spelling mistakes) is I will be flying over to America around September with a friend of mine to go and travel and plan on buying a Trans AM on the cheap (I was looking at cars.com.au and a few other sites and they're ridiculously cheap over there.) and I've been contemplating shipping that over with me when I come home and taking the VN off the road and making a little show car project.

The more I think about it and look at the prices of some of these LS1s online I agree with you Pollushon - it is looking more and more insane going the option of working this 6.

Agreed somefool, that's what's been playing on my mind too, considering it will be my first V8 I don't really want to be pushing anything over 500 torque for my safety but as I said before my mate with his Monaro threw less than 7k at his car and is sitting on 670 torque at the wheels, but as soon as you stop the gas you're sideways up the street through first and second gear (we had a good 80-100m powerslide going, also had it on a drag strip - hit 3rd broke traction and almost lost it on the strip). Does anyone know of anyone that has done an LS conversion into a VN body?

I'll do a little more research and figure out what figures just the stroker kit brings to the table for the 6cyl considering it's so cheap, even when I do get a V8, I love that bloody pig, it would be an absolute pipe dream but I'd love to leave a Typhoon at the lights and record the look on the drivers face when he sees a Commodore light up and take off faster, maybe one day. Lol.

P.S Yes I will definitely be doing all the mechanical work to the cars myself.

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Pretty much nearly completed my v6 4.2l build.

I'm going overboard though,
Just roughly how much I've spent so far.
5k on stroker
3k on manifolds, cooler pipes, exhaust and catch cans + some little fab work
1k fuel system
2k turbo
2k haltech ps2000
2k turbo400
I haven't complete the engine yet but I'm up for couple grand doing machining of the block, heads,girdle, studs, cam, rockers and valves.

Also my old man is building the engine and I've done all the wiring for the ecu.

I'm only doing this because I can but I'll say one thing the cost above doesn't include all the other little bits :(

You prepared for that sorta combo?

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
That conversion tho, far out that's beautiful. Wish he had a video of it, I only took a really quick look at all of his photos I'll see if I can hunt down any videos. For some reason though I liked it a little better before it had the body kit on it, VN would be an amazing sleeper.

5k on stroker? What stroker kit did you get that cost you 5K??? I've gotta run atm but I will try and find the site I was on I can't remember if it was C.O.M.E racing or MACE Engineering that had a 4.2(.4?)L stroker kit for 2.2-2.6k, or are you including the other components you needed to strengthen at the same time? By any chance did you take it for a drive with just the Stroker Kit installed? If so how did she drive? Either way that build sounds awesome mate, can't wait until it's finished!