Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Executive Black bumper painting

Wingnut0021

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore, 1997 VS Statesman II V8
Lets face it, the VN executive bumpers look like S@#%! Ive been told that they can be treated and painted, ive just got a simple Alpine(or is it alasken) white. Can anyone tell me whats involved in spraying, ive got a aircompresser with the paint can attachent. Im also wanting to respray mirrors and door handles.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
Wingnut0021 said:
Lets face it, the VN executive bumpers look like S@#%! Ive been told that they can be treated and painted, ive just got a simple Alpine(or is it alasken) white. Can anyone tell me whats involved in spraying, ive got a aircompresser with the paint can attachent. Im also wanting to respray mirrors and door handles.
you will need a what they call plastic primer,it's like a clear coat,can be expensive,but it's better to use it than not other wise your paint will peel off later if you don't use it,there are 2 types,one for acrylic and one for 2 pack(from memory)

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Plastic primer would be the go first, then under coat it, then paint it. But I reckon also you should top coat clear the bumpers too. I have seen a VN done top coat clear bumpers and it really set the bumpers off.
Wouldn't hurt to light sand between paint coats either.
I have also heard if painting your bumpers you are supposed to mix in a substance that makes the paint flexible so when the plastic bends your paint doesn't flake off. Never worried my bumbers. But that is up to you.
I would gl acrylic, 2 pack you have to make sure you wear a mask as the stuff in the paint is highly toxic.
I know people who use the **** and don't wear masks and get away with it but after reading on what can happen, not worth it.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Do people have any prices of the proudcts needed before i go doin my research..?

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
use the plastic primer then a few coats of the white.. then a few of clear.. don't need undercoat.. make sure you use plenty of the plastic primer.. it comes in spray cans. i migth eb wrong but i reckon you should use at least a can on a bumper.. well two cans would do both bumpers and both mirrors.. just prime your mirrors first..
and acrylic is the way to go.. if you have never done it before don't go buying 2-pack.
acrylic is a good learning paint.. if it is warm enough it will dry not long after spraying.. make sure you don't use too much thinners or all your paint will go into the air.. use to little and it will come out too thick..
i hope this helps you.. am not a spray painter but i have a little play ever now and again..
i reckon it should only cost about $100 for the paint and primer.. thinners don't cost much... i don't know how much paint you would need... two litres would be plenty.. might only need 1 litre

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
that would be the cheaper way out of it.. but i still like a spray gun better

Wingnut0021

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore, 1997 VS Statesman II V8
can i do the same thing to the side mirrors? i donno if you gotta do something extra because they seem like different type of plastic

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
mate i faced the same dilemer, i rocked my cheap arse down to superchgeap, got some black primer, some gloss black paint and some clear coat, get your bar off the car, get some heavy sandpaper, like some 200, and go sick, the go a bit hack with the primmer, let it dry, then hit the bar with some 800-1600 wet/dry, now clean it with turps (or prepsol if you can afford it) then be plentiful, but dont let it run with the gloss black, give it about 2-3 coats with 5 mins in between, then be mega plentiful with the clear, nice long light strocks, and wella, you have a nice bar, also the back bar is 3 piece so easier to handle, i did this quick as all hell, and didnt sand it proppa and the car still looks just so much neater, also while you buying paint, get some silver export stuff and just give your fuel tank a quick hit, dont even clean it, looks much neater

cheers

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
i'll get some pics when day time rolls around