Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN front of engine noise?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1, VS Equipe S2 and VS Executive
I have a series1 VN V6 that makes a tickety-tickety-tickety noise, I have a youtube link here https://youtu.be/yk_S-bswJ9A. Can anybody tell me what it is? In the video there is the above mentioned noise plus another more raspy noise but I'm assuming the latter is normal. In case you wondering the VN is nestled inside a VG Ford Transit!

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Probaly lifters in a VN 1,they modified them for the S 2/VP motor.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I'd take the belt off and rotate the tensioner wheel by hand and see if its bearing feels or sounds a bit rough.

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did check out the tensioner pulley and yes it was a bit gravelly so changed it and now it's a sweet as! So thanks for the heads up Circlotron :beer chug:

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually both suggestions for the front of engine noise seems to be correct as there still is a rattly sound and using the screwdriver stethoscope trick on the rocker box cover it does sound like lifters. The sound that went away after I changed the tensioner idler pulley was more of a snatchy tickety sound (if that makes sense) but the two sounds had blended together making source identification confusing. So what can I do about the lifters and is it important to do anything about them? Can something be added to the engine oil to quieten the lifter sound? This obviously must be a worn engine so what engine oil would be recommended for an ageing engine like this? Currently I have used a mineral based Repco oil recently added but I noticed the engine seemed noisier after the oil change so should I consider a heavier viscosity?

Last edited: