Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN front speakers..

adon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2 station wagon
I've just bought a vn station wagon and installed a new head unit and the old front speakers arent quite up to scratch.
Unfortunately i dont know anything about cars and i was wondering what size speakers ill need to be getting to replace them and if anyone could clue me in on what would be a good brand to get aswell.
I noticed some grooves in the carpet in the back on the sides and i wanted to know if they were for rear speakers?

thanks.:confused:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
4" speakers for the front, i take it your talking about the dash speakers?
My cousin's got his 6 x 9's in the back on the sides where the grooves are, he's using spacers on there.
I like pioneer myself but that's just me.

adon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i was talking about the dash speakers.

thanks heaps

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
ok front are a pain to replace with aftermarket stuff because they are scrwed in funny, like 3 angled tabs. aftermarket stuff normally have 4 flat tabs as you know. so unless you make an adapter or sumthing you have bend one of the tabs and use 3 screws.... now backs arent made for speakers either, behind the lining in the carpet there a rectangular holes in the side you can fit 6" in there pretty easy with spacers, or make up some brackets if you want them flush...

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
probably better to get a couple of vr/vs door trims and mount some 6-6.5 inch splits and just lesve the stock in the rear.
you will get a MUCH better sound from this.

adon

Reaction score
Members Ride
next problem..
i just installed the new 4" in the dash, just 2 cheap audiolines (100W). (gonna replace them with something heaps better when i got the spare cash)
and well they work but theres alot of feedback. the louder i put the volume the worse it gets. the stocks (40W) were like that too but they sounded alot clearer at a higher volume than the new ones.
my friend thinks its the head unit which is a akai but im thinking that it might be the fact that he just plugged the new speakers cords into the old one instead of running it through.
any ideas?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well dont know what you mean by feedback, you need a mic for that.

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
I replaced my dash speakers with tweeters and I love it...I'd definitely recommend a pair of splits for when you upgrade...

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
the louder it gets the worse it sounds, i had the exact same problem, keep the speaker wire as far as you can from the yellow and red wires, thats what happened to mine,.

Shaneus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Like pr0n said it could be electrical interference entering the speaker wire. Or it could just be the poor quality speakers or H/U amp. if you want good sound, I would suggest an amp and some splits, then through in a sub if you want some more bass.

Remember you get what you pay for in most cases. So cheep gear normally gives a nasty result. That being said check out Jaycars response precision series for good "bang for buck".