Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Vn heads on vr

Tylerwatson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx turbo
So I have a vr commdore with the Buick and was wondering if vn heads would work on my vr as I need to rebuild them but found reconditioned heads off a vn for cheaper

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
vn heads are different to the later heads i had a vp calais that was duel fuel and gas killed the heads even though they are supposed to fine and couldn't for the life of me find a set of vp heads so went to the local engine re-conditioner and bought what was supposed to be a set of vp heads only to find he had to get them in but the numpties sent him a set of vn heads and they do technically fit but there is a hole in the vp and later heads through to the inlet manifold that isn't in the vn heads i had to wait for the engine guy to machine said hole into the new heads.

Not sure now if it was vacuum or coolant now as this was 16 years ago

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That hole is for the PVC system (but yes, you are correct).

I'm sure the hole placement isn't critical, could probably drill them by hand if desperate. I think the later heads also flow a little better than the VN ones IIRC.

Tylerwatson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx turbo
vn heads are different to the later heads i had a vp calais that was duel fuel and gas killed the heads even though they are supposed to fine and couldn't for the life of me find a set of vp heads so went to the local engine re-conditioner and bought what was supposed to be a set of vp heads only to find he had to get them in but the numpties sent him a set of vn heads and they do technically fit but there is a hole in the vp and later heads through to the inlet manifold that isn't in the vn heads i had to wait for the engine guy to machine said hole into the new heads.

Not sure now if it was vacuum or coolant now as this was 16 years ago
Do you know if Vg Buick heads will work?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the later heads also flow a little better than the VN ones IIRC.
Yeah I think you're right. When I had the VR there was something about later heads flowing better, which is part of the reason the VR made more HP.