Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN heads or 355 stroker kit ??

SLE Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi guys just after some advice, just got my 308 put on the dyno the other day and it is not putting out as much power as i thought it would. It has standard cast iron heads performer manifold, crane 286 cam. yella terra roller rockers. Anyway have been looking getting some more power out of her so looking into a 355 stroker kit have found one on ebay for around $1400 by Procomp however i have also seem other ones for alot more up to $3000. The other idea i had was some VN alloy heads, have seen them on the yella terra website for around $3200 and dave bennet ones for $3300 and flow around 490hp-510hp.Again i saw some Procomp alliminuim Vn heads for about $1150 just wondering what would be the better option (or maybe to do both) and why the procomp stuff is so much cheaper? has anyone had experiences good/bad with them?

Thanks in advance:):)

SLE Lover

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Do you really need to ask why its so cheap? Inferior qaulity products are always going to be cheaper. Most procomp stuff is made in china by people who know nothing about holdens or probably cars altogether.
Yella terra and people like come know what theyre on about have been in the businees for 20+ years and manufacture all theyre own products

Vn heads are a good upgrade but remember youll need the manifold and all the other stuff to match. Carby style heads can flow well enough when ported

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
How much compression you running, because the 286 is a big cam, and has there been anywork done to your cast heads? If not, there is your answer for not getting a good figure, and wat carby are you running?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, procomp are **** 'cause they probably roll off the same production line as matchbox cars :p

SLE Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
The heads have been slightly worked on not sure to what extent though, looking at the specs of the 286 cam it recommends a comp ratio of min 9.5:1 to a max of 10:1 pretty sure mine is below that. Carbie is a rebuiit quaddy will be getting some work on that too, eg bigger jets

With the VN heads would the Torker mid rise manifold be the best option ?

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
What sort of power did you get with the 286cch cam? remember when you change to vn type head this cam will no longer suit the new heads.

Myself i would go with the stroker kit and rework the heads you already have, what size valves do the heads have atm. also what ratio are your rollers 1.65?

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah, procomp are **** 'cause they probably roll off the same production line as matchbox cars :p

Hey Man all my Matchbox cars are made in England :)

VL2Di4

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 355
Stay away from procomp....And if you go with vn heads you cant use your manifold

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
not mine, greenfoam :p

notmine.jpg

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
if you go heads, go the torque power duel plane. You will have to change your cam.
Prob best you do a stroker kit and massage your current heads, and fit bigger valves