Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn ignition module

Andreas1

New Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Age
20
Location
Victoria
Members Ride
Vn v8 spac
Hi guys so I have a Vn spac that I converted to a 304 and it been running for around 8 months fine but then I took it off the road for two month to do my exhaust and then when I started driving it again it kept stalling. So we changed the dizzy coil and did nothing but then put a new ignition module in and it ran fine again. Then the other day it wouldn’t start because it had to spark so when I plug another new ignition module in it started so then it was find. I drove it find no problem but then went to start the car again a hour later it won’t start again. Why does the ignition module keep frying what can I do to fix this or anyone have any idea what it is
 

MikeC

Active Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
828
Reaction score
247
Points
43
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Are you sure it's the module and not the wiring- including electrical plugs and earths? I replaced my module about 10 years ago with one rebuilt by a bloke in Sydney - he had "nuclear" in his ebay name ? - and its worked perfectly ever since.
 

gtrboyy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
3,680
Reaction score
2,091
Points
113
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sounds like wiring issue or some other thing you missed.

How do you know module is a dud? Tested it on another car or junk brand?

When changing modules you might be making contact again with loose plug or broken wire as they're old cars anything could have happened to it in 30 years & you've done v8 conversion so everything has been messed with.

Did vs v8 stato driveline into vp ute....had intermittent miss,occasional stall issue & sometimes car wouldn't start after it stalled...had me stumped for ages as everything checked out acording to specs even swapping in good parts.

Knew it had to be something simple & easily overlooked.

Turned out to be broken wires loose in plug for short extension loom to move coil to strut tower...it came with v8 conversion & checked out fine with multimeter yet one day wiggled the loom & engine stalled!!!! Fluke diagnosis haha

I'd changed vs engine loom to suit vn/p even repinned plugs under dash to suit conversion...kept thinking it was something I'd done wrong yet turned out to be the one piece of wiring I didn't modify.FFS!!!!
 

BlackVXGTS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,810
Reaction score
1,554
Points
113
Location
Melbourne, SE
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
...So we changed the dizzy coil and did nothing.....

Can you confirm that this means you replaced both the distributor and the ignition coil.

From PROFIELD Performance Modules:

"Of all the modules I see, 90% of them are fixed with a standard service, that means most break-downs are avoidable. The remaining 10% are unavoidable random component failures - this is why you should carry a spare module. And unfortunately some of these can cause the module to go short-circuit and burn out the coil. This is a well known problem with these ignition modules.:
 
Last edited:

wild mulberry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2020
Messages
98
Reaction score
761
Points
83
Location
sth coast
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon
good thread here.............ive been wanting to get a spare module ,So whats the go? ive seen them on ebay but iam not sure about those ones and ive seen them advertised as reconditioned. Can anyone tell me a genuine source for these as a faulty module can leave you stranded.
 

MikeC

Active Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
828
Reaction score
247
Points
43
Members Ride
VQ Statesman

91SS

Active Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2017
Messages
129
Reaction score
29
Points
28
Age
55
Location
Sydney
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
I've heard gone things about him.

Just wondering if you noticed any performance or smoother running with module?
 

MikeC

Active Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
828
Reaction score
247
Points
43
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've heard gone things about him.

Just wondering if you noticed any performance or smoother running with module?
That module and a MACE chip in the ECU made a huge difference to the power output, I really noticed it when I floor it after leaving a roadworks speed limit zone.
 
Top