Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn just wont stop leaking power steering fluid.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Hi all, just wanting to ask as I need some urgent help. My vn series 1 engine v6 just wont stop leaking power steering fluid. I've replaced the lower pressure hose, I've replaced the high pressure hose, I've replaced the fluid reservoir, and o ring no leaks there I can see. I've even replaced the power steering pump with a second had one which worked fine for a while but know its leaking again. Its driving me crazy I'm not sure what else I can do is it possible that the pumps are going from a faulty steering rack or something? Any suggestion would be a huge help.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Need to figure out where the actual leak is. Get some degreaser and clean everything really good. Once that is done it should be easier to see where the leak is coming from.

On old pumps it's not uncommon for the pumps to leak from the rear seal which is fairly easy to fix. There should be a tutorial in the How-to section.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Hi Immortality, Thanks for letting me know about the rear seal I will do what you say and try and find the tutorial you have mentioned because this power steering thing is driving me crazy, I will let you know what I've found when I've found it. Thanks again.
top line.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Hi all, I've put through a seal kit but must of not put the metal fan pieces back right as the pump is not pumping fluid through now. Any how got sick of it and brought a brand new no problems with that one so far.
Thanks
To everyone who posted.
Top Gear.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like you assembled the pressure valve part incorrectly. I've done this once, took it out and put it back the right way and it worked :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Might try some stopleak crap on mine or pay someone to swap reco rack in then take it back 10 times untill they lose their marbles haha

Each time think I got vp v6 p/steer sussed out mongrel strikes back..latest is puddle fluid onto chassis rail under booster after highway drives or low pressure hose leak every few months.