Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn kickdown cable to carb

lowroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
Guys im converting my injected vn set up to carby. The entire running gear is in a vb. Do i need to modify my kickdown cable from the t700 or does it connect to the carby as is? Im in the process of stockpiling all my parts before doing the conversion. Any advice or pics would be appreciated. Once this is done i want to make or purchase a cold air intray similar to the pic attached. Does anybody make or sell these?

Attachments

• Cameron%20VB%20motor.jpg
    Cameron%20VB%20motor.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 735

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
You have connect the cable in a particular way as it controls shift timing etc on the th700 and if not done right will kill the box pretty quickly.
you can buy brakets to suit holleys for them http://www.holley.com/20-95.asp but its still a bit of fiddling to get the cable connected in the right spot but here is a diagram on how to set them up correctly.

img011.jpg

img012.jpg

lowroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
VN kickdown cable

You have connect the cable in a particular way as it controls shift timing etc on the th700 and if not done right will kill the box pretty quickly.
you can buy brakets to suit holleys for them Holley Performance Products GM AOD Kickdown Cable Bracket 20-95 but its still a bit of fiddling to get the cable connected in the right spot but here is a diagram on how to set them up correctly.

img011.jpg

img012.jpg

Thanks 180sc. Ill be using a Rochester but I understand the principle of getting the setup correct for the longevity of the box. Thanks for the attached pics and article.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Considered a hdt tray? Get air pushed in otr that way.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
quaddy already has a pivot hole in the throttle linkage which is the correct throw distance from the throttle cable pivot. the TVS needs to be a "pull" and on my impala (throttle is also a pull) and needed to be a little lower than the throttle cable due to a short throttle pedal throw. TVS needs to be set pretty much full open at full throttle and partially pulled (i.e. no slack) at zero thottle so the tvs valve goes to the correct position at partial throttle. it all really depends on your throttle pedals amount of travel and you will need to get the trans shift pressure checked when you are sure its right. a poorly set TVS will hold gears too long, or shift too early and will burn out your clutches, so its best to get it all thoroughly checked after its set up. luckily for you the VN will already have the correct throttle-TVS throw distances, so im pretty sure they should connect to the same point on the carb, but could be wrong.

lowroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
VN kickdown cable

quaddy already has a pivot hole in the throttle linkage which is the correct throw distance from the throttle cable pivot. the TVS needs to be a "pull" and on my impala (throttle is also a pull) and needed to be a little lower than the throttle cable due to a short throttle pedal throw. TVS needs to be set pretty much full open at full throttle and partially pulled (i.e. no slack) at zero thottle so the tvs valve goes to the correct position at partial throttle. it all really depends on your throttle pedals amount of travel and you will need to get the trans shift pressure checked when you are sure its right. a poorly set TVS will hold gears too long, or shift too early and will burn out your clutches, so its best to get it all thoroughly checked after its set up. luckily for you the VN will already have the correct throttle-TVS throw distances, so im pretty sure they should connect to the same point on the carb, but could be wrong.

Once again the knowledge out there astounds me. The guy who will put the cables on for me is pretty cluey and running a Rochester also but at the same time I like to know what's going with my own car. Thanks for your input again guys.

R

richo304

mate i was going to do this one other option is to build the turbo 700 as a stage 3 shift kit with it manualised then you dont need the cable at all,as others have said if you do use the tv cable make sure you get it right or you will be up for a rebuild in a very short time

R

richo304

ps lowrooser,do you have a red vb sle?i may have got some parts off you at mc donalds car park about a year ago i was building a red vb sle

lowroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
ps lowrooser,do you have a red vb sle?i may have got some parts off you at mc donalds car park about a year ago i was building a red vb sle
Yep that's me. Thanks for the info but I really don't want to manualise the auto. Too much mucking around for the street for me at least. Maybe I'm getting lazy! How the vb coming along?