Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN manual pedal box into VH

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL/R torana, HZ SANDMAN, VH SL/E top 30
Looking at putting a VN 304 5 speed into my VH... Doin all the research. Gunna be a bugger of a job! But anyhoo, can anyone tell me if the manual pedal box from a VN will bolt into a VH? I have heard they will but someone else has also told me theyre welded in..? Anyone?

Cheers for any advice.

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
The conversion isn't too bad mate.. The pedal box doesn't fit, slightly different mounts. Best bet is get a vh one from the wreckers.. Cable still hooks on the same.

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps mate.
Saves me going to the trouble of pulling out the VN one then!!

Does the VN T5 box/clutch use the same cable setup as the VH pedals or is it hydraulic?

Cheers.

vh-sl/e

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden cv8 monaro
if you get into any trouble trying to find a pedal box at the wreckers, you could take ur auto pedals to dellows engineering n they can exchange it for manual pedals for about 250 bucks. vn uses hydraulic system vh uses cable system

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn is still cable, all the commo t5's were. I've used the vn cable in my vk and it hooks up fine.

Rough pointers for the conversion, use vn front end, with a vl lower section of the steering column, gearbox cross member is an interesting one but there are a few ways of doing it. Put a later model fuel tank in and and all you have to do is add a fuel return line. Wiring is fun, again there is more than one way to skin a cat, you can get adaptor looms that are pretty much plug and play if you don't wanna do it yourself.

I did it the hard way and used the vn loom and modified the hell out of it to work with a vl dash.

Any other questions ask away there are a few of us on here that have done the conversion.

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Forgot to say the reason for the vn front end is to solve the exhaust clearance issues without having to use the pacemaker extractors made to work with the conversion.

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. Cheers for the answers.

ive been doing my research and so far, my plan is to put the VN K frame and p/steering rack in. I understand I will also need to get a VL intermediate shaft to link it up, which requires the steering column to be taken out. Was going to do the pedal box at the same time but just a little unsure on what I need to source. Sounds like a VH V8 manual pedal box is needed as the VN one doesnt fit. Can the VN one be made to fit? Or is it too much of a pain in the arse?

Then ill try and get the clutch bits in place before dropping the engine in.

The VN 304 already has extractors so Im hoping theyll fit in the bay and I can avoid having to get pacemakers...

The donor VN Im using already has p/steering and air con. My VH does too so Ill hopefully only need to redo the hoses.

Also the dellow crossmembers dont seem to get a good rap.. Ive heard you can use a trimatic one and just slot the holes out a bit.. Anyone done that?

Getting a complete new loom sounds sensible too.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally I wouldn't bother rooting around with the pedals, plus god knows what it'd do to the structural integrity of it, shouldn't be too hard to get a manual one tho, not sure if a 6cyl one is the same, but that's all I'm using and it's ok so far..

I've heard the same about the crossmember, I've got one that I've made up for now, just for fitting purposes but intend on doing it the trimatic way in a couple of weeks so will let you know how it goes.

I've got the standard hsv extractors on mine and they fit fine, so you "should" be right if your using all the vn bits up the front.

Speedo is another issue to tackle, I ended up just using a autometer electronic jobbie, was too much rooting around to get the cable system going plus I'm planning on ditching the stock gauges eventually, so something to think about.

Sounds like you've done your reading tho.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
In regards to the Intermediate shaft, is it the Power steer VL one or non power steer? As i am doing my research also for my V6 conversion into my VK and i have read mixed results in that respect.
Donor Car is a VP ute so i will be using its whole front end K-Frame and suspension with my Vk springs.

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
The 6 cylinder pedal box will work but the pedal travel is too long - you'll end up with a very light clutch pedal that's difficult to use. Ideally use a VB-VK V8 pedal box but I managed to modify the hook end of mine to alter the ratio to suit a bit better.

VL power steer intermediate shaft will work, I've heard that some (but definitely not all) VN intermediate shafts are the same anyway. If you've got little hands you don't need to remove the steering column.

I made a cross member for the T5 into VK using the VN rubber mounts, I wouldn't like to slot the Trimatic one as you'd be just about right at the edge of it and its not the right height unless you want to change the rubber mount either. (I'm guessing that the V8 T5 sits in the same place as the V6 one, I think so)
Gearboxxmember.jpg