Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn No Go

P

pedro1

i have just fitted a VN V6 to a another vehicle, have finished wiring it up but motor has no power, i cannot get it above idle, if i go to full throttle it continues to run at same speed, then big flames and bang out of intake and stalls, have done all the tests in the manual for the ign system, replaced crank sensor, coil pack, computer no change, the tps reads ok and changes when operating throttle, MAP sensor changes when you suck on the hose, all the temp sensors work or rather read withen spec, all wires on computer that need power have power, fuel pump is running, new plugs, new leads, all valves are free and working, there is no rags down inlet, had it off and checked, to me it sounds like the timing is a mile out but as there is no adjustment how do you sort that, is there any change in the crank damper timing slot vs keyway in crank?? also have flashed the codes out from the computer and get only "12" which is i am happy leave me alone!!

am at wits end to sort this out, can any body shed some light on the problem!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
BUgger:bang:

i woulda said TPS and MAP sensors, you using and ADLD cable??? to check tps readings etc. possibly try changing the map sensor with a known working one?? other than that, you got the correct MEMCAL for this engine?? your right on the timing thing, nothing you can really change there except for whats in the MEMCAL however i woulda thought if the timing was that far out it wouldn't idle either.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
sounds like u got the fireing order of the spark plugs around the wrong way.. and it would also explain y it seams the idle is out and so forth. but other then that im stumped

P

pedro1

if only it was leads being out, and it does not idle, it will run for maybe 5-6 seconds missing horrendously then back fire and stop. i marked TDC and cranked it over with a timing light on it, it came up at BTDC more or less, but then it also seemed to jump around, i even put fresh fuel in it , the result is louder explosions from the intake and exhaust, i think we are at the stage of trying a third coil pack, 3 rd crank sensor, does any know if there is a difference between crank dampers from VN-VP??
carbs condensors and points look nice again!!

cheers

MBS206

Reaction score
Sounds like timing is WAY out!
Check the lead order. Check the wires going to the coil packs are set correct... ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it does sound like a timing issue, have you had the engine apart at all, like fitted a new timing chain maybe? all the ignition modules are interchangable and i believe the balancers are also

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
I had a car that would idle but not go .
Turns out it was the fuel pump. Very low presure.

P

pedro1

No Go Vn Now Go

just to let ya know, we had checked and rechecked everything and it all checked out, fuel pressure, temp senders, tps, map, coil, crank sensor you name it all check out ok, harness was good, good earths, no broken wires.
got hold of a third coil pack and fitted, it was better but still would no run properly, no way you could of driven it, replaced computer with third unit, starts and run no problems, go figure!!! we retried old coil pack and it was a no go as well, the strange thing is the coil pack checked out for voltages, resitance, and reaction to computer,
never mind it now bloody goes and i can get it out of my shed!!!!!:w00t: :w00t:

MBS206

Reaction score
Well done mate!

Some times these things just happen!